Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hyperterminal and RS-232 not behaving properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerran

Im using XP to transfer data to a 16F84A via hyperterminal. The problem Im running into is that A> I cant get SERIN to read properly(atleast that I can tell) and B> when I attach an LCD to the RS-232's output to the pic Im not recieving the data Im sending. Is my Pic or hyperterminal setup incorrectly?

Settings are hyperterminal settings are:

Bits per second 2400
data bits 8
parity None
Stop bits 1
flow control None
Emulation ANSI

SERIN is setup for

Code:
serin porta.2, N2400,[255], temp

or without a qualifier

Code:
serin porta.2, N2400, temp

none of which seem to function.

my lcd is set for 2400bps inverted (pretty sure its inverted, I use N2400 when communication via a PIC)
for serin Ive tried with and without qualifier and cant get it to work. I wrote a simple test program to read pin 2 on porta and output it on pin 3 of porta which doesnt seem to do anything :/ So I tried to connect the lcd to the rs-232's output to the pic, I recieve data on each key press but not the key Im pressing. Example if I click 2 I get a 3, some of the letters will display the special characters in the lcd, and other such strange inputs.

i'm not familiar with Basic, but perhaps you should keep polling for serial input, if you dont use interrupt.

hm? LCD with UART input? thats rare...

I plugged the LCD in just to ensure that something was being transfered, my PC is too far from my scope to check the output of the rs-232 hehe. I tried a test application with a continious loop that checks the rs-232 output on pin 2and outputs the data to my LCD on pin 3. Using it Pin 3 never sends anything to my lcd :/

Im thinking Im using serin inproperly so Ill keep dabbling with it but from examples Ive seen on the net it should work.

My rs-232 is wired the same as the following link.
**broken link removed**
Oddly Ive seen this same chip wired several different ways,none of which have worked differently for me, on different websites. The main difference Ive seen is that the Pin 2 is connected to V+ on some and ground on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back