Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hypo-pathetical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDCHK

Just for the fun of it ...
  1. If at absolute zero (0 Kelvin, -273.15°C) conditions, will light waves (and/or even radio waves) still be active?
  2. If the speed of light is at ~299,792,458m/s, and nothing can be faster than that, and suppose you are a pilot of a spaceship that CAN fly at the speed of light, what will you see looking out the front spaceship windows?

1. I would not have thought that temperature would not affect light or radio waves, if i am wrong i would like to find out how this works.
2. My answer is that he would see everything as normal.

Last edited:
1) Yes.
2) Because of the Lorentz contraction the pilot's eyeball will be infinitely small so he/she will see nothing.

1. Everything within the electromagnetic spectrum would continue to operate as normal.
2. Everything would appear so small it would be as if nothing is there - I'd assume total darkness...?

To no 1 I honestly don't know the answer,
To no 2 I also believe you will see nothing (darkness)

Hi,

Magnetic waves are not the same as atoms and i dont think are affected by temperatures within reason, even absolute zero. If you pass the light through an ultracold gas of sodium atoms bathed in laser light however you can slow light down by a factor of 20 million (something like 38 miles per hour).

If you look out the front window assuming everything else stayed the same, you should see whatever was in front of you. If you are traveling backwards however, you should see nothing because the light would never reach you.

ok so if waves are not affected at zero degrees and your traveling at the speed of light then i guess you can still get a speeding ticket, personaly i would be content traveling at the speed of sound, we dont like to rush in theese parts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back