Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I bought PICkit3 ... What's next ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

I buoght this clone PICkit3 on Ebay:

**broken link removed**

and looking to prepare myself before I recive it, so I've got five questions

1- has the clone Programmer similar functions as the original, so it is enough to read about the orignal and apply for the clone or shall I look for its own documentations?

2- I'm know using MikroC 6.2 (not PRO), and wndering, if HiTech C is a butter alternative or not ?

3- Is HiTech C is free or not? and is there any tutorial to start with ?

4- Which MPLab I have to install? is there recomende one for PICkit3, and where to get? is it free? or what is the cost?

5- I've never used any debuging utilities, is there any tutorials to start with?

Thank you.

Last edited:
1.It is best if you get its own documentation. They might clone it differently.

2.You will have greater control with Hi Tech C.

3. Hi Tech C is free with code optimization disabled after 30 days. Hi Tech C pro, you will have to pay. Tutorials are in the Hi Tech C compiler folder with lots of examples.

4.All current MPLAB works with pickit 3. Download them from microchip website. It is free.

5.Pickit 3 documentation should have documented about it. In MPLAB, Debugger -> Pickit 3.

Thank you john blue,

3. Hi Tech C is free with code optimization disabled after 30 days.
What do you meant by code optimization disable? less facility ? or total disable ?

Thanks

It means your code wont be optimized. That is, if you have the optimizer, then your code size will be less. If the optimizer is disabled, then you will have a bigger code size.

Thank you john, I have a fresh question :)

HiTech C, is alternative for MPlab the first for C and the second for Assembler, or not ? or let me put in another way, If I have HiTech C, do I have to get MPlab or not ?

You still need MPLAB, you can imagine, MPLAB is the base that works with assembler, C18 and Hi Tech C are the plugins for MPLAB :)

You still need MPLAB, you can imagine, MPLAB is the base that works with assembler, C18 and Hi Tech C are the plugins for MPLAB :)

What is the difference between C18 and Hi Tech C ?

I'm not sure that I understood which one is butter, but since I'll give a fresh start, both for me the same, so I'll choose the easier to use. Can you direct me please ?

You should try both. Depends on your preference. C18 has advance stacks provided by microchip - USB, ethernet and multimedia.

and did C18 is free or it is similar to HiTech ? I think both became Micrcohip products or not ?

I'm not sure that I understood which one is butter, but since I'll give a fresh start, both for me the same, so I'll choose the easier to use. Can you direct me please ?

As C18 is free, and is the compiler used in the application notes, it makes more sense to use that.

MicroChip didn't actually write it, they 'bought it in', although they might now own the rights to it?, I'm not sure.

Thank you,
In this Webpage,
**broken link removed**
I tried to down load it and found three versions as in the attachment, and a note before that says:

Standard-Eval Version
The Standard-Eval Version is free! It has all the features of the full compiler and libraries. After 60 days, the optimizations related to procedural abstraction and to the extended instruction set of the newer PIC18XXXX devices will be disabled. Code compiled after the expiration date will function but may occupy more memory space.

Special free versions for academic use are available here.
Instructions for installing and updating the MPLAB C Compi

so I dont know which version to download of the attached list, or to go for the academic one.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 21212.JPG
    21212.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back