I can't solder on 2N3055

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuka_2

Please, I am findimg it difficult to solder on the collector part of the 2N3055. How can I solve this problem-because that is really disturbing me. Thanks and God bless you.

You don't solder to the metal case of a power transistor. You fasten a solder terminal to it with a bolt and nut. Then you solder to the terminal.

For all we know, he is referring to the terminal. He didn't say..

Is the part in a power package with lots of heatsinking? Try pre-heating the part with a hot air pencil and turn up the temp on your soldering iron (or get a higher power one)

I would screw a wire with a ring temrinal to the bolt and connect that wire to wherever else I needed with a second connector or solder.

Hi there is an alternative package its TIP 3055. But there’s a difference in the output wattage between this SOT 93 package & the good metal package.

Attachments

• TIP 3055.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,176
Which has the higher wattage?

Please I want to know which one on them has the higer wattage. Secondly, is there any other distinctions between them. Thanks

ebuka_2 said:
Please I want to know which one on them has the higer wattage.

The TO3 one has, fairly obviously! - it's a MUCH more substantial encapsulation.

It's perfectly possible to solder to the case of a TO3, and I've seen it done commercially - but it's really a pretty pointless occupation, and it's not the way it's designed to be used. Bolt it on a heatsink, with the correct mounting kit, and use a solder tag under one of the bolts - as it's supposed to be used.

Most TO-3's are sold with mounting bolts, nuts, washer(s), and a terminal lug that fits under one of the bolts. If the one you bought doesn't have the mounting kit you can buy them seperately.

I am very greatful

Thanks to all that contributed. I am very greatfull to all of you, may God bless you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…