Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I dont like axial Electrolyics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Does anybody love axial electrolyic capacitors? No. They arent vented and they are much larger and pretty useless in my case. I Never use them and they just take up space in my drawers. So I make them explode, by wiring them up backwards up to a 20VDC power supply :)

I explode caps between the voltages of 6.3V-20V and they all explode into a huge amount of smoke (electrolyic fluid) and a wierd string looking thingy too :D

Attachments

• 04-14-08_1646.jpg
    04-14-08_1646.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 367
  • 04-14-08_1648.jpg
    04-14-08_1648.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 04-14-08_1710.jpg
    04-14-08_1710.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 04-14-08_1711.jpg
    04-14-08_1711.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 364
Krumlink said:
Does anybody love axial electrolyic capacitors? No. They arent vented and they are much larger and pretty useless in my case. I Never use them and they just take up space in my drawers. So I make them explode, by wiring them up backwards up to a 20VDC power supply :)

I explode caps between the voltages of 6.3V-20V and they all explode into a huge amount of smoke (electrolyic fluid) and a wierd string looking thingy too :D

Dude, that's just wrong.

I'm going to have to try it now, of course. :)

Torben

Just rotate the picture in the viewer 90 degrees. I dont know why it formats it like that.

Krumlink said:
Avoid breathing the vapors. Who knows what toxins you are inhaling. Especially if the caps are very old ones.

Lol UHOH!

I had a fan that would inject air into it after popping it.

i don't like the axial caps either. they take up too much space on the board. i can say one good thing about them though, they don't have as much stress on the leads and the radials ( the larger ones). i always shoot some silcone sealent under the big radials to glue them to the board to releive the stress on the leads

Ok, I got an idea for a electronic gun. (10v 1uf electrolytic cap) should fit nicely into a straw. Which will be used as a gun barrel then put in a air soft bb point in the direction of the intended target ? supply timing all the rest is a matter of choice. These are common most supply boards.

Yes, no maybe so ?

Maybe the day that my boss hooked up an electrolytic backward and it sounded like a 22g going off. If I recall it blew the top of almost like a firecracker ? I really thought it would be able to blast an air soft bb.

Krumlink: please wear a filter mask when blowing up unwanted caps.

The fumes and particles emitted are said to cause fit's of madness. "Hopefully you are aware of this"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it before.

I work for a company that does does work for the MoD and axil lead electrolytics are often preferred because (as Gaston said), they don't put as much stress on the leads.

I've got some 4700:mu:F 25V mill-spec capacitors and they're not to big and are vented. There's a score around the middle of the can which will blow before the rubber end cap so there are no safety concerns. They roughly the same size as some 16V 10000:mu:F 105°C radial electronics I have, so size isn't a problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back