I get a shock from a single phase ac capacitor I want to ask about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mido2115

hi there

I'm very pleasure to joing here

i want to ask about Ac capacitor single phase with ratings 1.7 uf and ac 450 v
single phase

is it dangerous shock from it

what the current that will get from it

i hope to know details about that

thanks in advanced

Welcome to the forum.

All depends on the capacitor, if it is a motor start capacitor and its fully charged to 450v then yes it very dangerous, possibly lethal.
The current depends on various capacitor factors, the cap I just reffered to will provide many amps for a short time, but thats into a short, the current through yourself allthough dangerous would be much less due to body resistance.

If you are sweating then your resistance is low then the current will be high. If the current travels through your heart (arm to arm) then it will probably kill you.
I saw a worker touch 450V and ground with one hand. He fell off the ladder and his hand was burnt. Luckily the current did not pass through his heart.

thanks for your replies

it has 1.7 uf and i was stand on wood I feel pain on arm

note the motor was disconnected and no current or voltage across else capacitor charge
does wood is good for resistance
its loocks like tha

is it very dangerous and i should go to doctor?

and for more safety standing on floor or wood is better?

Last edited:

Rather a different situation to a small 1.7uF capacitor though, where the amount of energy is only small.

I doubt a 1.7uF could kill you, apart from falling over and breaking your neck of course.

oh my good is it dangerous?

so what about standing on wood chair or floor whats better to avoid this shock may some one explain

Last edited:
Standing on wood, or any other surface, only makes a difference if the shock is relative to earth - which if the capacitor is unplugged, isn't likely to be relevant.

Personally I would say that the small amount of charge in such a capacitor isn't particularly dangerous, and is also likely to only be charged to 170V maximum (240V mains) or even only 85V maximum (120V mains) depending where you live.

oh thanks for your useful replies

well here voltage difference is 220 volts

but wood isn't be useful?may you please guide me to safety instructions to be use it or just book or course for that reason

If you contact both terminals/wires of the capacitor with any part of your body then if it is charged to over 50v or so it will give you a shock.
If you've done this just the once its unlikely you'll have any bad effects.

i touch those terminals that out from Ceiling Fan

i think that shock from capacitor isn't right or from where?
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You should not touch any metal part inside the ceiling fan unless you have turned off the mains power at the circuit-breaker!

Always discharge high V caps for 1 minute due to leakage to memory effect or dual layer charge effect. If you plan on handling or getting near them. Maybe your is not big enough to fribrilate or stop the heart if strong, but can be a shocking experience.

so may i think that shock not from capacitor cause i touch the terminals out from the fan to main ac source?

"i want to learn to know"

Alternating current can pass through a capacitor, so can definitely give you a shock. A 1.7uF cap has an impedance of ~ 1.9k at 50Hz, so can allow ~ 220/1.9k = 115mA (rms) to flow. That is more than enough to kill you!

good information really its useful

so another question

when someone turn of
f the
Ceiling Fan is the capacitor completely discharging its charge while the fan slowly stops

or what

another one

what is better for stand on floor or on wood

to make current not follow through you

Last edited:
Again, it depends entirely on the path of the shock - assuming your neutral connection is earthed at the sub-station, then you can get a shock from live, through your body, and back through the earth to neutral at the sub-station.

In those circumstances standing on an insulator - rubber would be good, wood not so much - would break the path and prevent a shock. Floors in houses are often wood, and you can still get a shock through it - but probably slightly better than a concrete floor?.

when someone turn off the
Ceiling Fan is the capacitor completely discharging its charge while the fan slowly stops
That depends how the fan (and your house circuits in general) have been wired! Don't assume it's discharged or disconnected from Live/Phase.

so may i think that shock not from capacitor cause i touch the terminals out from the fan to main ac source?

"i want to learn to know"
Welcome, Mido2115!

1. It is ALWAYS best to check for the presence of voltage on ANY wire or device with a Voltmeter (google DVM or DMM or VOM meters) before attempting any inspection or repair. If voltage is present, investigate why it is present before you do anything more.

2. Yes, a DRY wooden platform is a better insulator than a bare concrete, linoleum or dirt floor but it should not be assumed that it is adequate electrical shock protection.

If you must work on electrical equipment that is energized (or you don't know if it is or not), NEVER do so without electrical safety gloves. Inconvenient, to be sure but, then, so is dying...

A lot to read, but this is a comprehensive document on Electrical Safety: https://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_materials/fy09/sh-18794-09/electrical_safety_manual.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…