I get a shock from a single phase ac capacitor I want to ask about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major conduction factor in concrete, as I recall from my factory ESD implementation days is whether the concrete has a good moisture barrier underneath. Most do not and so are excellent for ESD prevention but poor for HV isolation.
So moist concrete ends up being much worse than dry wood. Wood in fact if dry with oil is the primary cellulose insulation in HV transformers. moisture content and its absorption factor being the key factor of any dielectric insulation.

BTW All insulators are dielectrics .

... and water has a high relative permittivity of >60 as well as ionized conducting salts if contaminated and transformer insulating oil is low 2-4 with better H2O inhibitors.

Last edited:
Alternating current can pass through a capacitor, so can definitely give you a shock. A 1.7uF cap has an impedance of ~ 1.9k at 50Hz, so can allow ~ 220/1.9k = 115mA (rms) to flow. That is more than enough to kill you!
Fortunately your finger tip impedance is typically 100kΩ give or take 1 decade if dry or wet which limits the current initially to 1% of this, but ionization occurs at the surface, can drop another order of magnitude.

250uA is allowed in Y-rated cap leakage in line filters of power supplies and is considered safe but well above perception thresholds.

More effects are felt going thru the body than between arm and finger, so one hand in pocket is the Old Tv repairmans rule when poking around discharged flyback caps or voltage doublers etc...

No
, but you might know what acupuncture does for strong healing. Dont push your luck.

A general guideline for receiving an electric shock is to go to the hospital and get your hart checked. You can die days, weeks or months after receiving a shock. Just keep that in mind

Also wood is not a good insulator at all. That is why any rescue kit for people receiving electric shocks do not contain hooks that are made of wood. The hooks have to be tested regularly to ensure their insulation resistance has not fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…