I hate the PICKit2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Roadmap

That little USB device has a terrible device driver which for the second time in two days caused XP to crash completely, and MPLAB IDE to save my open C files with no data in them. I have lost about a days work in total now! I think I should stop leaving the .NET framework-based firmware loader running while I'm not using it, and also disconnect the PICkit from the USB port while not in use.

I am going to sue Microchip if this happens again because I am 100% its their silly device driver as its the one which shows up on the error report.

OK. Anger's out, Christmas cheer's back.

I've used the PICkit2 a few times and its running just fine for me. Of course, as with all things 'software' its dependant on the exact system its run on, what runs smooth on one, can completely corrupt another.
I close the loader after use. And, although I'm not really into 'bells and wistles' it seems overly basic to me. Feedback as to whether the PIC is getting power would be nice...the 'VDD device' thing is fine, but the indicator just tells you when you've clicked it, when VDD comes from the PICkit2, NOT when the PIC being programmed is getting power. Wow, I didn't realise how much that annoyed me until now!

To be fair though, it cost me 18UKP, just for the programmer/software and it has programmed every PIC I have, albeit at a similar speed to my horrifically soldered JDM programmer (which I'm bloody annoyed about). Hopefully when I get a USB PIC...I can get a USB bootloader on there, and it 'should' be faster.
And .NET framework has ruined my PC several times (as has XP). Who knows where the bugs come from, microchip, M$, space?

It seems to me to be pretty much in its infancy, with the button on the PICkit2 dongle having 'future purposes' and the claim its an ICD, for a 16F505...which I'm sure they'll get around to making other PIC compatable. So I guess we'll have to wait for some updates, both software and firmware. Either that or I could pick up some books on various languages and *attempt* to make my own software, which if I was honest, would take me at least 4 years

Merry christmas, etc..

Blueteeth.

The button on the programmer now works (With firmware V2.01, downloadable from Microchip's website). Its really useful actually especially when you're in that Debugging phase where you're tweaking the software, or when you're on a roll, or just if you're plain lazy.

See I like this thing, but sometimes it pisses me off. I've just pieced together my lost code using recovery software and some old code files.

Microchip, you're bitter sweet.

Well it seems to me you may be blaming MicroChip when it's not their fault?, it's just as likely to be a Windows problem as a MicroChip problem - or perhaps even just a clash with something else on your computer?.

As I said, the PICKit2 has a USB device driver, which shows up as the culprit in diagnosis reports..its not clash as its happened twice now and the reports have been identical.

I've been using the Pickit2 without incident for about six month's,I've also been using microsoft product's for years with 1000's of incidents
my money is on ms causing it no matter what the report say's

I don't have a PICkit2 but I have had some usb devices that do not work well with certain motherboard chipsets.

I have found a solution for some is to use a usb hub between the device and pc and in some cases a powered usb hub also may help if the device is drawing too much power from the usb port (especially if the pc is a laptop).

Problems like these is why I stick with Freescale HCS08 devices. I think they have better tools and internal peripherals than MicroChip and with the build in BDM (background debug module), programming and debugging is easy and works great. With the BDM, you can single step, step into, step out of, run, set break points, watch variables, registers and much more.

I find serial debuggers to be a real problem in real-time execution.

With Freescale's special edition Codewarrior tools (with free C compiler) and my BDM from Witztronics.com, I have a full development system for $50.

Just my two cents.
uCTechnoGeek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…