I have a free 24h communication line. what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

Hey guys,

In my country's mobile network I have joined the offer wer i can have a free 24h line connected to a certain number. I mean, I can call this number for free anytime i want, and as much as i want. This includes SMS, and MMS.

Can i make use of that offer is sth else? Like i have a 24h ADSL line at home, can i connect to that internet line if for instance i called the free number, and the mobile of the free number was already connected to the net?

What other ideas can i make use of? Actually Im paying a high amount to get this free line and i feel im being used so i want to take full advantage of this line. like do sth useful with the free call of free SMS or so...

Any ideas?
thanx.

WAP works over an phone number(It works kinda like dial up).

So i set that number for free calls and you have free intrernet.

Someone Electro said:
WAP works over an phone number(It works kinda like dial up).

So i set that number for free calls and you have free intrernet.

I suspect that you will only be able to assign normal numbers to it?, and Internet access numbers won't be allowed. I also suspect heavy use of the facility would involve it being cancelled?, why not use the number as it's intended? - for your girl friend (or boy friend?), mother, best friend etc.

Someone Electro said:
They may be that stupid since the WAP number looks like any other mobile phone number.

But doesn't get charged like it 8)

It would be a risky thing to try on a contract phone!.

Don't most phones now provide GPRS, where WAP calls are charged solely for the data transferred and not for the time of the call?, certainly mine is!.

So I would imagine they would be quite happy to allow you free connection to the number, but then charge you for the data transfer :lol:

WAP is completly like dial up but GPRS uses pakege transfer (Like DSL).

So you get charged for the time conected in WAP.

Thsi is made so becose you balast the servers whith the time on.Wile in GPRS and UMTS you balast the servers only wen transfering data.

If you look at the settings for GPRS its prety much like seting an DSL modem.

Yea my phone has GPRS too but i can conect using WAP too.

GPRS is prety expensive here 1 SIT per 1 kb if your under 1MB a month.(btw: $1 = 195 SIT)If you make more than 1MB a month you get 1 SIT per 10 kb.

I dont use it.If i need to get somting on the phone i use the USB data cable to transfer it from my PC.(I got it whith the phone for free)

Oh an i found an sneaky trick.Why use SMS to write to someone.Its beter to use E-Mail and becose its 1 SIT per 1kb i get to send or recive 1000 charecters for 1 SIT ($0.005)

there are ways to use the link to transfere data, it's tricky though, hardly worth the effort if the free calls are not going to be there for any less than a year.

What would be slightly easier is to have a modem in a computer at your house hooked up to the phone line. If you can (that is a very big IF) use a data enabled sim in the phone and call the computer. With a few shiganigans at the mobile phone end (and a bit of clever software) you could use it as an internet gateway for a laptop, or to control remote devices, you are limited to around 9kbps though, that's an eighth the speed of dial-up.

It would probably be better used to control a remote machine than an internet style data service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…