Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need 2 no how 2 set up a video security system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Geovision cards. They work well. Digivue is an OK card too.

Nigel is right, no VCR. Wear and tear, tapes, cleaning, searching video is a pain, etc.

Also, Henybot left out POWER to run it all.

Trajen,

You will need to run cable. We use cat-5e, and put the power and video on two pairs. You will need balun (sp) transformers as well to match the impedance on the wire to the cameras. We do it this way, as we have found lightning does not seem to damage the cameras like it does with coax.

Oh course, a good ground and maybe lightning arresters.

EDIT: You might want to get a single power supply to run all the camera, but 4 single ones will work as well. I doubt your house has 12/24 volt power, so you will need a power source.

Last edited:
Mramos1

I am about to install some cameras at my house but wanted to use coax cable, pulling one cable for power and signal is beter than pulling two, and we live in a high lightning area lost a couple of PC’s, TV, air conditioners etc. I have a couple of lengths of cat5 cable laying a round that I can use. Would you maybe explain more about using the balun transformers and balancing the impedance, maybe a small diagram and explanation would be appreciated.

I understand 2 wires will be used for in my case 12vdc to power the cameras, other 2 for signal and ground of the camera, right ?

Thanks

Virus:D

Virus,

Correct, the video two wires will require a matching transformer for the 75 ohm cameras.

I have used theirs before (see link below) and the price is OK. I think the best I found was $20 on the internet. Local security suppliers get 40-60 USD, we use them in a pinch only. Putting 9 camera on one of the rooftops in the next month, will be cat-5 for sure.

https://www.discount-security-cameras.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=283

We have had a lot of hits here in Florida on the ocean. And seems we only replace the cameras on coax. We plan to eventually replace the coax, when time allows. We have a number of buildings. Our storage facility is all coax and only open one year, we have replace the DVR 3 times. Royal pain for sure.

An auto-recording system is a good idea. Normally nothin is recoreded, until something in the picture changes causing it to flip in to recored mode until the picture stops changing.

Thanks Guy’s

I was thinking of using a DVR with a built in hard drive, this also have a network connection to connect to a PC and software that controls the DVR. The idea is to run the cameras and the DVR on a UPS (even if it will only last for maybe 30 to 45 min) after a power cut, and hide the DVR and ups in a secure place with a network cable to the pc that you use.

The UPS should also prevent some spike on the mains.

I do not see the use of connecting the cameras to a PC in the office and when you get burgled they take the PC (hard drive) with the camera images (evidence) as well any how.

Mramos1 – is CAT5 rated for outdoor use, I mean UV and sunlight etc?

Will follow-up on the link you posted.

Thanks

Theunis

Thanks Super voip, just needed to make sure.

V

We normally get Geovision cards and drop them in a PC. Then we can log into them and see what is going on remote. DVRs are good, but if you have a PC not in use I would go that way. You can do a lot more. Write a program to SMS your phone, etc.

As Super_voip said, you can get outdoor grade. It cost a bit more and the cheap stuff will work fine for a long time ;) But yes, there is a better grade. Most of our stuff is under a roof, even the parking garage. The roof top in the building we are about to do has conduit. So it will be plain old cat-5.

I personally would use cat-5e cable and a balun at each end.

You will need to supply the power on two wires and two wires for the video and ground. Other 4 you can cut off. Main thing it the polarity on the power unless you use AC cameras.

The geovision will allow you to view them on you local network and also if you open a port on your firewall, over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back