I need 25,000 1GB USB thumb/key drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they preload them with data? This is for my Dad's business. He's been distributing his continuing education materials on CD's for years and is pushing what one CD will do as far as data. He's thinking it would be cool to move to flash drives if the cost will be low enough.

Is there a way to get them so they can't be re-written? Otherwise, whoever he hands them out to will likely erase all the data on the drive. They'd still have a thumb drive with his logo on it, though.

Is there a way to get them so they can't be re-written? Otherwise, whoever he hands them out to will likely erase all the data on the drive. They'd still have a thumb drive with his logo on it, though.

Yes and no. The short answer is to use dvd's then.
If you want to send out something which is manufactured to be R/W, why do you want to pay for it, and then restrict it anyway

Seems CD would be the most cost reduced method. What would be the purpose of a flash drive?

Think he already answered your questions about R/W and why:

From time to time we all are guilty of not going back far enough in the thread (or forgetting) to see what has already been said.

There is no good reason for a customer not to reuse media once they have it on their systems. And as said earlier there is the good will and advertizing.

The courses my Dad administrates/teaches are continuing education courses for CPA's to keep them up to date with changes in the law, etc. Every year the written materials distributed for the seminar change b/c of changes in the law and whatnot. So after a year, the material would be outdated anyway. At which point they throw away the CD.

The idea with the USB drive is that people get something with Dad's organization's logo on it that they can use frequently. They copy the info to their computer or whatever, and get to use the drive for their own purposes. Dad makes his money off of repeat business, because these folks have to have a certain number of hours of continuing education every year to get licensed by the state. But those professionals can always go to somebody else's seminars, so Dad thought the USB stick with his logo might be a nice gimmick to get folks to remember his seminar again the next year. They generally attend several seminars from different organizations throughout the year to satisfy their legal requirements, and there is a lot of competition, so getting repeat business is super important.

He himself got the idea from attending a conference where they handed out the conference materials on a USB stick, and basically told me to get on the computer and figure out how much it would cost him vs. the sixty some odd cents he pays per CD currently.

Last edited:
I should also say this beats the hell out of what we did in the pre-computer days. When I was growing up we would get up early on the weekends and mail out the seminar materials in printed form to all the people who signed up for the seminars. Lots of books, padded manila envelopes, address label stickers, and a sheet of plywood on some sawhorses for a work area. My Dad would pay me and my friends ten bucks an hour to get everything ready to ship out. Good money, but the papercuts sucked.

Last edited:
Cardboard cuts are worse. Hate those...but at least with cardboard is thick enough and rigid enough you can wear gloves and probably not have it hinder your work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…