Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a 75 to 75 ohm balun antenna matching transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I can not find anything but 300 to 75 ohm balun antenna matching transformers at Radio Shack or any other place in town.

I found instruction how to make a 1 to 1 balun but there are no details on the, number of turns, wire size, or ferrite donut.??????????

I have several ferrite donuts, small, medium and large. Picture in Amateur Radio Handbook looks like 8 turns of enamel coated copper wire but picture online shows about 20 turns of insulated house wire. I need LOW LOSS for a 16 element collinear array TV antenna for my HDTV.

I could buy a balun if I could find one at a reasonable price. I don't think $15 plus $10 postage is a good deal.

My antenna is a 16 element collinear array 75 ohms with a 75 ohm coax cable to the HDTV. Frequency range is 180 to 692 MHz.

Last edited:
75-75 ohm baluns are not common since you seldom find a balanced 75 ohm source. What do you need this balun for? Most antennas are 300 ohms balanced.

If you are connecting a 75Ω spigot on the antenna, to 75Ω coax, why do you need a balun? Do you want DC isolation; i.e. a two-winding transformer?

Balun stops some unwanted stuff, static, ghost. etc. I have a 16 element collinear array antenna it is 75 ohms. I am using 75 ohm coax to my HDTV. It is working fine without a balun I just want to try it with a balun to see if it makes it any better.

Try 2 back to back 300-75Ω baluns first. They used to be pretty common. Maybe some of your buddies have some laying around.
You could also try a coaxial balun, but they are relatively narrow bandwidth so it would be to trial on one or two channels only.

Last edited:
Balun stops some unwanted stuff, static, ghost. etc. I have a 16 element collinear array antenna it is 75 ohms. I am using 75 ohm coax to my HDTV. It is working fine without a balun I just want to try it with a balun to see if it makes it any better.
Since HD is digital, if it's working fine then you can't do any better. You said a balun stops static, ghost, etc. (which I don't see how. All it will likely do is reduce the signal amplitude) but you apparently don't have any of that. Seems like a waste of effort.

You are right it will reduce the signal a little. I read ferrite type baluns are only 90% efficient. I have a 300 to 75 ohm balun that I tried I can't tell it make any difference signal seems to be the same.

I made some changes again to my antenna today. I re scanned and now I can receive 8 more stations. One station is channel 7 Knoxville TN that is 120 miles away. That totally freaks me out I can pick up Knoxville it has been coming in pretty good 70% strength all evening. I watched a 2 hour movie on channel 7.2.

I can not find anything but 300 to 75 ohm balun antenna matching transformers at Radio Shack or any other place in town.

I found instruction how to make a 1 to 1 balun but there are no details on the, number of turns, wire size, or ferrite donut.??????????

I have several ferrite donuts, small, medium and large. Picture in Amateur Radio Handbook looks like 8 turns of enamel coated copper wire but picture online shows about 20 turns of insulated house wire. I need LOW LOSS for a 16 element collinear array TV antenna for my HDTV.

I could buy a balun if I could find one at a reasonable price. I don't think $15 plus $10 postage is a good deal.

My antenna is a 16 element collinear array 75 ohms with a 75 ohm coax cable to the HDTV. Frequency range is 180 to 692 MHz.

Oh, this is a receiving antenna. Well then the enameled wire is fine. You can use the smallest ferrite core you have also.

try 3-5 turns of twisted pair on the smallest ferrite donut you have. one wire is the primary, the other wire is the secondary. since it's twisted pair, and it's on a ferrite donut the coupling coefficient is very close to 1.

try 3-5 turns of twisted pair on the smallest ferrite donut you have. one wire is the primary, the other wire is the secondary. since it's twisted pair, and it's on a ferrite donut the coupling coefficient is very close to 1.

I like your slogan UncleJed. Also don't you have to put the smoke back in to fix it? I know I've had allot of capacitors that went bad when the smoke leaked out :D

i keep a can of smoke handy at all times...... :D

part number OICU812
i keep it next to my left-handed monkey wrench and my box of compass bearings.

back to the question at hand.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. use a balun if you have some reason to provide DC isolation, but otherwise, it's not worth it to add a device that will introduce loss into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back