I need a high speed switching power supply circuit that can switch at 100K Hz while passing 50A at 12V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gglone56

It doesn't have to be a power supply per say. It can be a circuit that turns a power supply output on and off at 100K Hz but can pass 50A of current. It needs to take my TTL PWM signal and use that signal to turn the power supply output on/off acting like a high side switch. Please direct me to a company that can design and build this circuit/box or at least supply a circuit design to accomplish this.

I do this kind if thing.
Input voltage 12V (is that automotive? which is 14.5V to 12V)or (solar or battery)?
Output voltage 12V (same as input)
Voltage drop? If vin=12 and vout=11.8V is 0.2V drop OK? How much drop can you stand?
100khz.
What duty cycle range? 10% to 100%? I need to know if 0% or 100%.
50A.
What does the load look like? Resistive; heating element, inductive, capacitive, motor, ?
Does the circuit need to protect ifs self from inductive kick back or motor braking?
"TTL" 5V or 3.3V or ? Do you need isolation? (Is the PWM-ground the same as the 50A ground)

Last edited:
What didn't you understand about the first post?
Several times this week:
12V=automotive.
A boot strap gate driver will never do 100% duty cycle.
"12V out" but he really wants a battery charger.
"12V" driving a motor with breaking is not really like a heating element.
"50A" is that peak, p-p, average? Will power push out of the load back into the supply? (motor circuit)
"50A" Motors and headlights rated for 50A will pull much more than that at startup.

As stated recently "it usually takes 25 posts to get near the truth". There is a good chance that Windows10 will update before post #25.
Just to be clear …. I am smiling, not angry!

Yes, it is automotive. The power supply that needs to be continuously chopped will be at 12V. The PWM input signal will be either 20%, 50% or 80% Duty Cycle at 5V and 100% when the test parts are on all the time for functionality test. Both the 12V power supply and the TTL PWM signal I will supply.

I am requesting this because I want it to perform a test called "Switched Battery Line". The test spec. allows for 11.9 to 12.1 V unloaded but I want it to be at least above 11.5V when loaded. The loads vary from purely resistive to a combination of inductive and capacitive. Whichever kind of load it see's, it must be able to pass 50A without a major degradation of the signal. I myself have not run this test with loads anywhere near 50 A (20A max) but the test spec requires the equipment's ability to do that.

The test parts are automotive so theoretically any part that is on a car could be tested. Motors will be tested so yes protective circuitry is required.

Isolation would protect the input signal so yes that is a good idea.

Additional info: I need just one for now but if it works according to our requirements, 3 more will be needed. I do not have a price in mind. Give me the price and I will request for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…