I need a very low powered relay type interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamW

Ok, Im new here so sorry if the title/subject is not as clear as it could be, Im a mechanical engineer and thats the best description I could come up with.
Heres what I'm trying to do:
I have an industrial DAQ/control system that has a couple of 5vDC logic level type D to A ouputs. I want to use these outputs to switch a 230V, 2A load.
From what I understand these D-A outputs will only drive a very light load of about 5mA @ 5V. I originally thought I could just connect these directly to a SSR but I cant seem to find a SSR that needs less than about 12mA input.

So is there a way I can do this with a fairly simple electronic circuit? I have a basic understanding of common/simple components and schematics so I should be able to find my way with a bit of a kick start from some of you knowledgable folk.

Thanks,
Adam

If your circuit is 5v (high) and 0v(low) you can use this circuit i quickly drew:

View attachment 38564

Yeah, but he will need an external source of 5V to power the relay. I would use a 12V or 24V relay, and a matching wall-wart plug-in power supply. If you go to the trouble of getting an external power supply, you could use the SSR in place of the relay depicted in the posted schematic. The SSRs will take any wall-wart voltage from ~3V to 24V.

Thanks for the help, I thought I needed to do this with a transistor but didnt know anything about what values I needed so thanks to 3lectrokid for posting some suggested components along with the schematic.
I already have 12v and 5v power supplies in the cabinet so that side is easy.

One more question if I may - That BC547C - how much load could that switch reliably? I ask because I already have some 5v relays (not SSR) that I could possibly use. 100ohm coils so about 50mA?
I did take a look at a 547C datasheet myself which I interpreted as a peak collector current of 200mA but I'm not sure if 50mA would normally be considered acceptable.

The BC547 is a proxy for about 2000 transistors. For this type of low-level switching, the US equivalent is a 2N3904...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…