I need an isolation transformer so I don't die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much help to the OP - but I've got four 1000W isolation transformers sat in a corner at work doing nothing.

I borrowed three of them (and paralleled them) when my immersion (water) heater element went leaky to earth (blowing the ELCB/GFI), which allowed me to have hot water while I got things sorted. I was unable to change the element, as the tank deformed too much as I tried to undo it (and I wimped out) - in the end I splashed out and had the entire old heating system ripped out and a new gas Combi system installed.

Incidently, just because you have three identical transformers - don't expect them to be wired in the same phase

There was a hell of a BANG when I initially paralled them. After finding out which one was phased differently, it actually worked remarkably well - and the transformers even kept the airing cupboard warm

I dont know what VA you want but I purchased this one from Newark for $44.00,now there $71.52.Bummer I should have got two when they were only $44.00. Still a good price for a new 450VA iso tranny.

Code:
http://canada.newark.com/97C7982/power-products/product.us0?sku=tenma-72-6670

120V? pahh......play with a valve amp with 300-0-300v DC rails, and a 240V input to experience a proper shock and yes, i still have the scar where 600v went in one side of my finger, and out the other. burning flesh - yuk.

There are a number of different methods, depending upon the equipment and your test setup.

you can stand on a thick rubber mat, and happily touch the live wire. or you can be earthed and touch the live wire, if it comes from an isolation transformer.

just remember it's all about completing circuits. as long as you don't you are as safe as a bird on a wire

you can stand on a foot of rubber, touch the live with one hand and the earth with the other and kill yourself. (or get a good tickle from 120v)

the best tip I got as a trainee was to put one hand in your pocket. so if you do get a shock it doesn't go in one arm, and out the other - as your heart is somewhere between the two.

120V? pahh......play with a valve amp with 300-0-300v DC rails, and a 240V input to experience a proper shock and yes, i still have the scar where 600v went in one side of my finger, and out the other. burning flesh - yuk.

Lol, I have one of those but it was only 415v. I was moving the cables, for an electron microscope, in trunking and some idiot had striped some insulation. I had a hole in my hand between thumb and index finger for six weeks. I had to keep scraping the scab off in order for it to heal shut. That was twenty something years ago and I still have a scar.

Larry

120VDC is actually pretty low risk and is very unlikely to electrocute you, it's much safer than 120VAC but I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…