Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i need code for maximum power tracking in C for PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhichaotic

as obvious from the topic i need a code in C for PIC to implement maximum power tracking for PV panels. this code should generate pwm pulses according to the algorithm.
Plz anyone help me as i am a new one in PIC programming and unable to think of it, so kindly help me

Well, basically you can watch the panel voltage, or the current, or both.

The panel's max power utilization is "mostly" at a fixed voltage, about 0.5v/cell IIRC. Voltage is easiest to read. Current is more accurate, but a bit more tricky. With current, the PIC has to blindly make a small duty cycle change and see whether it helped or hurt.

Be sure you have an adequate filter on the panel. See, a 5A @ 24V panel used to charge a 12v battery at 50% duty would only yield 5A. The current generated during the off-time is lost. Now you'd think "I'll just add a capacitor", and that's a GREAT idea, except look at what most <$10 capacitors have: less than an amp of ripple rating, and an ESR too high to use, and with the capacitance used, how much voltage ripple will you get at high currents? You'd need a GOOD capacitor for a powerful panel. An inductor feeding a capacitor greatly reduces the ripple seen by the cap, but you have to look at the inductor's resistance and also the reaction this will cause for the PWM controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back