Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help, SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovin3

Guys, I got a projectm title is "microcontroller based image capture and display"
The aim is to develop the hardware and software necessary to interface a digital imaging device and graphics LCD display using a microcontroller.

There are two aspects of this project: hardware and software
Hardware
1. Design and construct an interface for connecting a digital image sensor and LCD
2. Select and use a suitable EEPROM to store and retrieve images
3. Design a keypad to enable navigation of a menu system

Software
Use a suitable language to write a program to control the image sensor and capture images, display images on the LCD.

Expected Outcome is:
1. Design and construction of hardware interface for connecting a digital image sensor and LCD
2. Software will be written to control the image sensor and display images on the LCD
3. Object selected : square and rectangular type
4. Use suitable EEPROM to store and retrieve images
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hav no idea:confused: , can u give me some suggestions???? :D

If this is a school project you are going to need some real-life help and fast!. Even if it's not you need some real life help. The stuff you are talking about is complicated (but far from undoable). Hint- use an FPGA or CPLD to dump image data into the EEPROM and have a uC extract it.

Here are some articles to give you an "idea".
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I've only started looking into this stuff myself lately so I can't say too much, except that it seems that if you know how to use FPGAs, it's supposed to be straightforward to dump the image from the camera into a RAM chip with it.

FPGA's are expensive and complicated for someone that doesn't know what they're doing, not a good novice project. I'd recommend looking for complete camera modules out there that do all the hard work for you and have a micro controller interface that allows you to transfer images.
Something like
**broken link removed**

They sell several modules in the 50 dollar range, but they're a whole lot less complicated to interface with than an actual cmos image sensor directly.

NEver occured to me that he might be talking about using a scratch CMOS image sensor. BUt yeah, don't use those. Use a complete CMOS unit with digital output...

But even with a CMOS camera with a digital output, don't you still need an FPGA to dump everything into RAM? I guess a uC could do it, but it would eat up all it's resources (ie. nowhere near real-time).

EDIT: I looked at that link. I keep forgetting about those cameras that provide an image as a serial output.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're nice, a little expensive but for what they do you can't beat the price/simplicity of em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back