I need help, SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovin3

Guys, I got a projectm title is "microcontroller based image capture and display"
The aim is to develop the hardware and software necessary to interface a digital imaging device and graphics LCD display using a microcontroller.

There are two aspects of this project: hardware and software
Hardware
1. Design and construct an interface for connecting a digital image sensor and LCD
2. Select and use a suitable EEPROM to store and retrieve images
3. Design a keypad to enable navigation of a menu system

Software
Use a suitable language to write a program to control the image sensor and capture images, display images on the LCD.

Expected Outcome is:
1. Design and construction of hardware interface for connecting a digital image sensor and LCD
2. Software will be written to control the image sensor and display images on the LCD
3. Object selected : square and rectangular type
4. Use suitable EEPROM to store and retrieve images
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hav no idea , can u give me some suggestions????

If this is a school project you are going to need some real-life help and fast!. Even if it's not you need some real life help. The stuff you are talking about is complicated (but far from undoable). Hint- use an FPGA or CPLD to dump image data into the EEPROM and have a uC extract it.

Here are some articles to give you an "idea".
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I've only started looking into this stuff myself lately so I can't say too much, except that it seems that if you know how to use FPGAs, it's supposed to be straightforward to dump the image from the camera into a RAM chip with it.

FPGA's are expensive and complicated for someone that doesn't know what they're doing, not a good novice project. I'd recommend looking for complete camera modules out there that do all the hard work for you and have a micro controller interface that allows you to transfer images.
Something like
**broken link removed**

They sell several modules in the 50 dollar range, but they're a whole lot less complicated to interface with than an actual cmos image sensor directly.

NEver occured to me that he might be talking about using a scratch CMOS image sensor. BUt yeah, don't use those. Use a complete CMOS unit with digital output...

But even with a CMOS camera with a digital output, don't you still need an FPGA to dump everything into RAM? I guess a uC could do it, but it would eat up all it's resources (ie. nowhere near real-time).

EDIT: I looked at that link. I keep forgetting about those cameras that provide an image as a serial output.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're nice, a little expensive but for what they do you can't beat the price/simplicity of em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…