Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need some Eagle Cad magic from you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I am getting pretty good with it. I want to fill areas to save etchant. If I use the Rect tool it fills it. Poly draws an un-filled shape. I looked all over and see a pour, but can not find it. The program is great but some of it is a bit odd or backwards. But I still like it.

Can someone tell me once I draw the poly, easy way to close it off and how to fill (pour) in solid..

Thanks. I did google and search here as well.. Marks256, I feel your pain on the search. :p

Last edited:
you've got a couple options here

what I do almost always is pour a ground plane.

1) draw a polygon to cover your entire PCB
2) using the NAME tool, click on one of the polygon lines, and name it GND
3) hit the rats-nest button and your polygon should fill in, if it hasn't already

if you haven't specified GND in your schematic, then your polygon probably wont fill. In this case, you should put a ground symbol on your schematic and connect it to something.

or, click change and set orphans to ON. now the poly will try to fill everywhere it can regardless of its signal name.

another thing you'll want to do, click change and set isolate to 0.024 (or more/less depending on your confidence level). this setting tells the polygon to stay at least N mils away from other signals, pads, holes, etc.

I have a GND on all that I do, off to try it. Thanks for the fast response, as my laser print has be waiting on me for a bit :)

I did it. it filled it all.. pads are fine, but all the traces are in the fill/pour. That did not work. It did not get my text or pads.. weird.

EDIT: Ignore above. Helps to be on the right layer.. Thanks I will write that down somewhere..

Last edited:
Mark256, I feel your pain on the search.

Yeah... :rolleyes:

Oh, and there is an "s" in there, bud... Marks256... :D

JustDIY..

I put my PCB on layer one and layout, then on layer two (to invert the text) I make that on layer two (otherwise the copper text will be backwards). The pour worked but not covered the layer two text. Clever way to put text on layer 1 mirrored? I think I tried that and it did not work, off to try it now.

The laser makes all black toner, so I write my connection names there and print and it all goes to layer 1 far as the toner knows.

Last edited:
you want the text to show up on your PCB?

if you use the TEXT tool with layer 1 selected, it comes out backwards because you're looking at the board with x-ray vision, that is, through the top and into the bottom.

if you want the text to be reversed, use the MIRROR tool ... type your text, place it on the layout, and then hit it with the mirror tool, presto chango, its no longer backward.

Sorry I put the circuit on layer 1 and the text on 16 (bottom) as 16 mirrors it backwards. I will try on layer one that way and see what I get, but I imagine I tried it and just did not get the right sequnce of clicks.

NOPE. Layer 16 is what I want. If I do it on layer 1 it is readable on the screen but will be backwards on the PCB. I want to sort of silk screen in the copper on layer 1. And it does not like me doing it that way.

If I write on layer 1 and mirror it jumps to layer 2.

Last edited:
ok, if you're typing your text on layer 16, it will look backwards on the screen, and on the print out, but when you iron it to your circuit board, it should read the right way. just as if you look through the paper at the text (same way it will be on the circuit board) the text is correct

if you make the text readable on the bottom layer while it's on the screen, it will be backward when it's on the board

Sorry

Help me plz,
i am new to eagle.
i found about one hour but it did not find me. i am making schematic with eagle first time. Where will be this button???i mean which library or model number?

Attachments

• butan.GIF
    butan.GIF
    31.3 KB · Views: 195
Ayne said:
Help me plz,
i am new to eagle.
i found about one hour but it did not find me. i am making schematic with eagle first time. Where will be this button???i mean which library or model number?

When you are picking parts at the bottom is a seach box. Did you type *button* in there and look at all the buttons? Make sure you put the to "*".

Ayne said:
What is the exact name of those button(in picture)???

It is a momentary push switch. Bill from blueroomelectronics.com I think uses something like that on his boards. You can look over there for the name. Also Eagle has a download site for parts not in the default library.

I found out tonight that answer I was after when I started the thread.

I use a laser printer to do single sided boards (it prints all in black toner), I put text on the bottom layer (mirrored; using the copper for the text)) so I can read it and stuff my parts that way.

I wanted to use polygon tool to fill open areas on the PCB and save etchant (leave more copper on the board)..

For those doing what I am, single sided boards and what to use polygon to fill areas to keep the copper on the board not in the etchant.

Use the polygon tool on the PADS layer 17. It auto pours/fills it.

Figure someone out there will find this useful.
Made me happy for sure. I thought I would share it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back