Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need specs on a dayton motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBobTrasman

First humble apologies for bring this barely relevant question here but Google has been mostly useless; (I miss Alta-Vista.) so I'm sneaking up on it anyway I can.

I have a Dayton air compressor motor but can't find specs on it. I need to reverse it(if possible) and want to know it it will run on 220v. The data plate is damaged in all the wrong places. The silkscreening is only partial so I have numbers with no context. The model no. (I Think) is "9k320" or "9k520". A well places scratch makes it fun to guess, but viewing it at an angle shows a three. the type is a "RK5" There is the number "56" in the middle of a line all by itself. I'm guessing nema frame no. and the "1/2" I'm guessing HP. Then "cont" ( duty cycle?), "50c" (operating temp?) Then a line with no context at all "1.0", "1", "60 N" (There is damage here so it could be "60"#"N" ) Just now noticed the 115 voltage, so I guess no 220. Then 3450 (rpm?) then "4047-11601-148" (serial no?) then "comp rated hp"

Please any one that can point me to info would be appreciated.

This is going to power an old Bendix-Westinghouse compressor from a 1953 Chevy truck air brake system. My dad put it together back in '55 and used it until he move to CA in 2006. I want to make it work again. This thing has survived 30 years of living at Cape Hatteras NC and being under water several times. They Don't make em like this anymore!

Anyway; Thanks for the attempt at an answer.
TBob

A clear picture of the name plate would help. Also, are there any capacitors on the motor? How many?

John

Theres 2 ways to do this, first electricaly change the connections, and secondly if the stator (bit with windings on) is a seperate piece then you can take the motor apart, reverse the stator and put it back together, and the motor will run the other way.

The other way is to alter the windings, I'm assuming its a single phase motor, you have to reverse the supply to the start winding with respect to the run winding, the start winding often has a start capacitor in series with it.
The wires will be colour coded and maybe the terminals will be letter coded, unfortunateky the codes here in the uk will be diffo, ours are red and black and 'A' and 'AZ' for run winding, yellow and blue and 'S' and 'T' (amongst others) for start.
What are the colours of the wires going into the windings, and whats marked on the terminals?, a photo inside the terminal box might also be usefull to us.

Last edited:
On a lot of motors the wire insulation will have tiny letters and numbers on them. Typically the wires are all black with white lettering.

I remember an X-ray set that I worked on, had about 30 white wires going the the goniometer. I was elated when I found a diffeent number on EACH of the wires stamped into the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back