I need to make a mind reader prop...need some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

For my TV class we were just given our final project, make a movie in just 4 weeks and use some guidelines which were given to us.

My groups project got a movie about how this guy makes a device that allows him to read others thoughts and he uses it on his date. as they are on the date, some guy comes in a starts robbing the place.

I'm looking for ideas on this little mind reader I told the groups I would make. I was thinking some blinking red and blue LED lights, something that is easy but really stands out both in the movie and off the set....or even an LED chaser...(come to think of it, this really sounds like a good idea...)

Any ideas?

I was thinking some kind of small project box and a speaker mounted in it for a microphone type look and two different color blinking LED lights. I don't want to be spending much more than $20 since I'm not getting paid for this project.
I'm guessing ill need two 555 timer circuits to get the two LEDs to blink at different times, right?
another though...do they make blinking LEDs?
that would cut out the whole 555 circuit and save on cost...

Anyways thanks for any tips and ideas.

Last edited:
Another idea is to rig up those cold cathode lights used in PC case modding that have the "lightning" effect in them. Your mind reading prop might activate the lightning effect when it "detects" lies or to make things amusing: when it detects people lusting for someone. Bringing new meaning to the term "when sparks fly".

Thanks for the link Mike.
I think ill just go with the standard blinking LED compared to a chaser setup. The chaser would look great but I dont want to put that much money into the project...

a few AA batteries, LEDs, project box, and switches should do just fine.

Oh! a movie model instrument. technological

Last edited:
ok guys last night I decided to look around for some blinking LED circuits online and found one that I decided to build. I didnt have the resistors they called for but found some that seemed close enough and so its working.

the LEDs are a little dim and the blink rate is a little slow but I think I can try some smaller caps to speed it up some. I thought I would post the modified circuit here to make sure it was good to go on the perf board, dont want anything burning up on set...

ok change R1 and R4 to 270ohms. Nice blink speed and light output but are the LEDs running too hot?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…