Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i need transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

anyone know where i can purchase a bunch of transformers for a good deal? im looking for 120v primary 24volt secondary at 2 to 3 amps. i need about twenty or more. or a good deal on more amperage and i can share the voltage. i need to make a bunch of audio amplifiers

You don't want to parallel the outputs do you?

It's more efficient to use one large transformer than several smaller transformers connected in parallel.

no acually i am using one for the positive swing and one for the negative swing. for 48 volt pp rms

I found an even cheaper transformer at electronic goldmine, stock no. G12951. It has an extra winding, but you can ignore it for $2.98.

Gaston said:
i saw that one at goldmine but from looking at the output leads the amperage must be a typo.

That was my first impression also, looks too small of guage for 2 amps continous, but sometimes pictures can be deceiving :(

Lefty

Gaston said:
no acually i am using one for the positive swing and one for the negative swing. for 48 volt pp rms
Why not use a centre tapped 48V transformer?

Are trying to get +/- 32 volts? There are many ways to do this.

The goldmine transformers don't look to me like the wire is too thin; unlike some transformers the wires are solid not stranded, and the insulation is thin.

Leftyretro said:
That was my first impression also, looks too small of guage for 2 amps continous, but sometimes pictures can be deceiving :(

Lefty

well that's the same for peltier devices, they put tiny little wires on something that can pull about 4-20 amps:eek:

Yes, what exactly are you trying to do?

A single 24V-0-24V transformer is likely to be much cheaper than two 24V transformers. You could also consider a transformer with two 24V secondaries or just buy a pre-built switching power supply.

im building audio amplifiers and need a positve and negative voltage. i can't find any good deals on 48 volt center tapped transformers. it looks like i can get the 24 volts at a good price though. a premade switcher would be nice but that would probably be the most expensive alternative.

Do any of those 24V transformers have twin secondaries by any chance?

Transformers with twin secondaries are very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back