Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need your help to catch an intruder!! Solar security camera project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashton86

I am a real amateur when it comes to all things electronics and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have purchased land out in the middle of bush in south queensland and have no power. Unfortunately I have had a fair share of red necks helping them selves to things on my property, or just simply snooping around when I'm not there.

Due to this, I have recently purchased a digital camera that runs off a 9volt battery. It takes a photo when motion is detected with the inbuilt motion sensor, and saves the image on to an SD card. Works an absolute treat for my intentions. However, the 9volt battery only has a life span of about 7 hours.

I need to have the camera continually running while i am away from the property (sometimes up to 1 month). I was considering hooking a solar panel directly to my 7aH 12volt battery, reducing the voltage down to 9v and plugging straight into the camera.

Will this work?

I currently have a 1.5 watt solar panel that i intend on using for the project, will this have enough guts to keep the battery powered? (this panel will get maximum exposure to queensland sunlight if that makes a difference)

If not, can you please tell me the best possible way of achieving my outcome.

Appreciate your help,
here are the below specifications of my camera.

Imaging Sensor: 1/ 4" Color CMOS sensor
Lens: F2.0/f3.6(4G+IR) pinhole
Resolution: 640H x 480V (4:3)
Responsively: 1.9V/lux-sec(550nm)
Dynamic Range: 60dB
S/N Ratio: 45dB
White Balance: Automatic
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA
Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

Looks like you can run it at 12VDC from the specs.

I would drop the panel on the battery, get a meter, make sure in bright sunlight you are under the 14VDC, and run it from the battery.

Why start a new thread?

Whay not ask this in one of the other threads you started?

I did think there were a lot of security camera posts for this forum today. :)

Home sick, so popping in more than normal.

Ashton, just post one message, people will help. Multiple ones and they will ignore you.

thanks for your help.

i have been advised that a 1.5watt solar panel will be enough to charge the 7ah battery if placed in direct sunlight.

do i need to worry about over charging or discharging? or will the built in diode (in the solar panel) be enough for this project

ashton86 said:
thanks for your help.

i have been advised that a 1.5watt solar panel will be enough to charge the 7ah battery if placed in direct sunlight.

do i need to worry about over charging or discharging? or will the built in diode (in the solar panel) be enough for this project

I don't think it's large enough to over-charge anything, but I would have thought it's far too small for your requirement?.

ashton86 said:
Unfortunately I have had a fair share of red necks helping them selves to things on my property, or just simply snooping around when I'm not there.

What will you do when they steal the camera? :confused: A solar panel will [probably] be easy to spot.
Jeff

Why not lock everything up? If it really becomes a problem call the local authorities.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I somehow get the feeling Krumlink lives in a city! :p

Actually I live way out in the country, farms and cows here.

Just a thought, but if a 9 volt gives you 7 hours, how long would a 12v lead acid car battery give you? That would be easier then the solar option. You would just have to charge it with a generator during visits, or take it home to charge and leave a charged one in its place.

jbeng said:
What will you do when they steal the camera? :confused: A solar panel will [probably] be easy to spot.
Jeff

Does it have a flash? Does it work at night? Even if you hide the solar panel and camera from view, if a flash goes off, the trespasser will know he has been photographed an will possibly destroy the camera so that you don't see the photo.

Andy1845c said:
Does it have a flash? Does it work at night? Even if you hide the solar panel and camera from view, if a flash goes off, the trespasser will know he has been photographed an will possibly destroy the camera so that you don't see the photo.

Nope no flash, pretty much only designed to work in the day. The camera is certainly well hidden and i doubt that even if the intruders do find it, they probably wouldnt know what a camera does!

I have rigged up a motion sensor solar security camera near the camera to act as a flash at night time. This seems to work a treat.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures so post up on here on my next visit out bush. I plan to give a copy to the local police but also to keep one printed and enlarged on the door of my shack. I think the shear thought of having their picture taken out in the middle of no where will trip their imbred minds enough to stay away (or burn down the place) :)

Cheers for your help

pictures

Gday Everyone,

Thanks for your help.
Please take a look at the attached photos of my rig so far. I have the camera powered by a 7aH battery that is charged by 2 x solar panels (100mA each).

I understand that these panels are probably under powered for the drain of the camera, but at this stage i am unable to get my hands on anything bigger before my next visit.

Given that the 7aH battery is at full capacity, and the solar panels are receiving maximum sunlight each day, how long could i expect this camera to still function before draining the battery dead? I need it to go for at least 2 weeks!!! (am i wasting my time?)

There is no regulator to prevent over charging/discharging apart from the built in diode in the solar panels.

Have i wired this up correctly? if not could someone give me the right way of setting this up..

Cheers,
Ashton

Here are the specifications of the camera again:

Imaging Sensor: 1/ 4" Color CMOS sensor
Lens: F2.0/f3.6(4G+IR) pinhole
Resolution: 640H x 480V (4:3)
Responsively: 1.9V/lux-sec(550nm)
Dynamic Range: 60dB
S/N Ratio: 45dB
White Balance: Automatic
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA
Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

Attachments

• camera set up 1.jpg
    camera set up 1.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 176
  • camera set up 2.jpg
    camera set up 2.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 170
  • camera set up 3.jpg
    camera set up 3.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 175
Keyword: MAXIMUM. Solar panel ratings (and as many other things) are overrated, literally. Thats if it is perfect temperature, no clouds, in the sahara desert. You won't be able to get 100ma. You may be able to put some juice into the battery though, but not enough to charge it.

Car battery? Besides those rednecks can see shiny stuff, and shiny to them means money? You could hide the car battery in a hole. Camo the camera too :)

Thanks for your help. I was under the impression that if i used a car battery i wouldnt get enough charge time from it? When I go to upgrade the panels. Is it just a matter of plugging it into the power socket in my rig, or should i really have it wired differently?

Would you suggest a minimum panel of 5w?

Yes I would get as large as a solar panel as you can get, in voltage and amperage.

How long will the current above set up take to drain the 7aH battery? Should the camera still work for a 2 week period given that the battery is fully charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back