I need your help to catch an intruder!! Solar security camera project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say 12 Hours of sunlight/time to capture a crook guy.

About 50ma per hour. a fresh 7aH battery would be safe to assume that it has at least 6aH. 6000mah divided by 50max12=600

6000/600= 10 Days. A car battery would be able to supply the camera for probably a month or easily more. Is it possible to attain a car battery or another few of those 7aH batteries? A solar panel charger would just make it more expensive.

ashton86 said:
How long will the current above set up take to drain the 7aH battery? Should the camera still work for a 2 week period given that the battery is fully charged?

But if you want to charge the battery and run the camera, I would go for that 5W solar panel. You might want even more, since the voltage may not be enough.

As someone else already mentioned, your camera is rated from 8 to 14 VDC. The 12V to 9V adapter is not necessary, and could adversely affect your battery life. It is possible the solar cells could exceed the voltage rating of the camera. I would check the specs of the solar panels, and even do some testing to see if they can approach 14V. If they can then you could keep the voltage regular, however I would set the regulator to its highest setting that is less than 14V, because it should be more efficient the closer it is operating to the input voltage.

Dan

Thanks for your help guys.

Ive got my hands on a 12volt car battery that i will rig up to the system. Probably dont even need a solar panel because the maximum times between visits to the property are less than 1 month.

Eventually however I would like a self sustaining set up that can just recharge. Its good to know and once i get my self a bit of extra cash to go splurging on the set up i'll get some half decent panels and batterys.

Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have a photo of the crook guy that flogging my gear!

What exactly were they doing?

broke into my shack and flogged a few tools. nothing expensive, but enough to piss me off. I think the fact that people are on your property and snooping through your things when you arent there is the most frustrating part about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…