I/O card or prototype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tushiro

Hi everyone,

Im a newbie, I was lucky to find this site when I was searching google for a 24-second shot clock circuit. Im still having problems in how to reset to 00 after reaching 24 but that is not what Im about to post, it will be in a wrong category.

What I want to ask is, which is better Interfacing via I/O card or a prototype/stand-alone computer using a motorola processor? we've been using Interfacing via I/O card for project design of Computer Engineering students but technology have phase-out EISA bus and was replaced by PCI, as of now we still have old computers(IBM pentium 1) that uses EISA but we just want to be prepared because lately some of those computers are not functioning.

Can anybody suggest what will be an alternative for Interfacing via I/O card in project design?

Not sure but maybe this will help.

Take a look at the **broken link removed**. This board is based on an Microchip PIC USB-capable microcontroller. It can be used as a USB to parallel converter.

It is quite inexpensive and can be purchased .

You really need to clarify exactly what you're asking, as 3v0 says, USB is pretty well replacing I/O cards for many purposes.

that was a very good replacement for EISA but I think it is not available here, we only maximize the use of materials that are available here the reason why we still stick in the old type of interfacing using 138 decoder , 244 buffer, and 373 latch for our I/O card.

We do not know where you are.

When your location limits what you can get, you should fill in your location of tell us where you are.

Microchip are made in Thiland and ship all over the world. The only part the is not very common on the UBW is the 18F2550 and maybe the USB connector. It would be worth you time to determine if you can get them.

The cost is low. Maybe about $10US if you can build them yourself.

There is not much point in teaching anything about the EISA bus. It has been dead for about 10 years.

Last edited:
I'm from philippines but far away from urban cities... i agree with you 3v0, that's why i was very lucky when i discovered this site in google. we want our graduate to be ready in the industry the reason why i've been searchin for an alternative for EISA.

we were planning to shift in prototype using motorola M68000 processor but i'm not sure if this is being applied in the industry or maybe would cost much compare UBW (USB bitwacker) project and hardware.

It's still not very clear what you're doing?, what's a 68000 got to do with it?, it's a full micro-processor, although rather old now, it's still a pretty high spec chip - far out performing similar speed Intel chips of the period.

What you should go to depends to some degree what you are teaching. Are you teaching digital logic, uP and uC development, etc.

If you can tell me why you are looking at the 68000 it may be helpful.

The uC used by the UBW is in itself an interesting chip. Lots to learn there both hardware and software.

Given that you live in the Philippines I would expect that can get your hands on most any part you need. Am I wrong ?

@nigel: Instead of using a computer for interfacing we rather create a prototype/stand-alone computer using M68000 with EEPROM for instruction/program. I'm not yet familiar with the other set of chips but i've seen other schools using this type of design especially in ECE.

@3v0: Philippines is divided into 7,107 islands. EPS and credit card are not yet available as payment here in our province. internet started 8 years ago. We are still looking for a direct contact with a supplier for other materials that are not available here. That is why i am asking if it is necessary to have an alternative for EISA given that we only have a limited resources.

btw, yes 3v0, Im teaching Logic Design, This is my first time handling this course. I have to rely on what i've learned in College last 10 years ago. LOL. Our first batch of Computer Engineering program will be graduating this year.

tushiro said:
Sir, i do remember posting 2 messages... where did they go?

As a new user certain posts are suggest to approval by a moderator, I approved one and deleted the duplicate.

Your requirements are still incredibly vague, but you appear to be wanting to build a 25 year old PC? (Personal Computer - back before IBM became involved). This seems a strange thing to want to do?.

Like I say, we've not the slightest idea what you're doing, but modern micro-controllers can often do many jobs and only cost a couple of dollars.

@nigel: yes, instead of using a EISA bus of a computer we rather create our own prototype, a dedicated one. I just told my co-teacher a while ago with regards to what 3v0 have suggested for interfacing. He said that we rather shift to prototype than using UBW (USB bitwacker) project, not that he doesn't want to use it but he want that student would understand the whole structure of interfacing.

Our project design requires a computer that would run your miniature, with minimun of 8 inputs and 8 outputs. so it will require a single 244 and a single 373 for your I/O card. they will also be required to use program languages such as, turbo C, C++, Java or Assembly. anything will do.

Fear of that which is new

There are people who only want to teach what they already know. That is to say they are either lazy or fearful of learning new technology. I do not know this to be the case with your co-teacher. I do not know him/her and do not intend to accuse. But you need to watch for it.

Interfacing to a bus does provide the student exposure to working with standards and some logic chips. You can teach that without resorting to 20 year old technology If you continue with the obsolete technology the students may find it uninteresting on irrelevant.

Perhaps the UBW is not the ideal choice for this class. But if you look at what is out there you should be able to find something that is.

You are welcome to continue the discussion here. Or Google to what is out there. What others are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…