Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i/o pin protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

what is the best way of protecting a i/o from overvoltage? zener? Transient voltage suppression diode?
anything else u can use?

and how do you protect the io pins against reverse polarity whitout effekting the voltage that the pin reads?

i mean if you have a schottky then 0.7 volt will go over the schottky and less will arrive to the pin i guess. and then maybe you read '0' when it should be '1' at the pin. is there some way of doing this whitout effecting the i/o pin.

hi,
If you are talking about PIC pins as Input, all the pins have internal protection diodes, one to +Vs and one to 0V.

When driving an input pin from an external voltage which is greater than +Vs, [including moderate transients] you should use a series resistor to limit the input current to less than 20mA.

Last edited:
Atmega controllers also have internal protection diodes. The input pins can tolerate voltages from -0.5V to VCC+0.5V (with respect to ground).

Guaranteed logic voltage levels:

VCC 2.4 to 5.5V
Input low voltage (max): 0.3*Vcc
Input high voltage (min): 0.6*Vcc

VCC 1.8 to 2.4 V
Input low voltage (max): 0.2*Vcc
Input high voltage (min): 0.7*Vcc

I/O Pin pull-up resistor is 20 - 50 kOhm.

Above values are from Atmega48P/88P/168P/328P datasheet.

Additional protection is application specific, but zener with resistor works well for over voltage protection. A single resistor to limit pin current is a good basic protection also. If you have some extreme conditions then you need to tell us more about them.

Last edited:
okej, thanks for the fast answer.

what i need is a i/o like this:

digital i/o: 0 = 0-2V, 1 = 4-40V 0-50Hz (-3dB) protected against wrong polarity over voltage(50 V).

its for a school project. i use a atmega ATMEGA324PV-10AU with vcc 5 volt.
what i was thinking was a schottky diode of 0,5 volt voltage drop.

if i get in a 2 volt (0 logical) then the schottky will have a drop with 0.5 volt=>1.5 volt
(0.3*5v=1.5) witch will give a logical zero.

if i get in a 4 volt (1 logical) then the schottky will have a drop with 0.5 volt=>3.5 volt
(0.6*5v=3.5) witch will give a logical one.

then i will have a filter for the 0-50hz.

i was thinking of having a zener and a resistor for the overvoltage protection...i was thinking of having the avalanche voltage at 5 volt. and then some resistor. i have to think about how to calculate the resistance..hmm..

what do you think about my approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back