Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I Pulled The Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member
Those of you members who know me also know I have been somewhat MIA (Missing In Action) of late. Well I have finally, after careful thought and consideration severed myself from Working America. I retired! :)

Over the Christmas shutdown from work I ended up with 3 weeks off. Kathy (my wife) and me visited the kids and grand kids in Columbus, Ohio a few hours south and overall spent 3 weeks together in what I figure was close quarters.

The first week in January as we sat at the kitchen table watching snow fall and enjoying morning coffee I joked how we spent 3 weeks and never once tried to kill each other. I also enjoyed getting up in the morning doing what I wanted to do. Kathy at age 65 seems to have won a fight with cancer last year when her left kidney was removed and I would turn 63 in February. I had planned retirement at age 65 but decided to look into my benefits.

I had 25 years with my current company and am fortunate in that I was vested under the old salary pension plan. When I returned to work I crunched numbers to see what my pension benefit would be along with social security. I looked at our investments. I finally decided the time was now. I guess burying too many friends of late spooked me. Kathy is on medicare with a supplemental and still working. She was on my medical plan previously and is paid not to use her plan at her job. I opted for COBRA for a few years and we set the monies aside.

Effective 01 May 2013 I was officially retired from a company that has always treated me well. Sort of bitter sweet but so far I like it. Kathy will retire 01 September from her position managing a small TV station.

The other day Kathy asked me jokingly if I missed "bossing people around"? I told her when I get up in the mornings I now boss our two dogs around and much like the engineers that were in my charge the dogs don't listen to me either! :)

I have been doing some traveling. Spent 3 weeks in NC seeing old friends and then we spent a week in MO. for a Marine Corps reunion. Thus far this retirement stuff is fun.

Not as active with the trons that served me so well for an entire working lifetime but enjoying my other hobbies. Also, as have decided to remain in the house we own looking at major house renovations. Should keep me busy all summer anyway.

Warm Regards to All
Ron

Those of you members who know me also know I have been somewhat MIA (Missing In Action) of late. Well I have finally, after careful thought and consideration severed myself from Working America. I retired! :)

Over the Christmas shutdown from work I ended up with 3 weeks off. Kathy (my wife) and me visited the kids and grand kids in Columbus, Ohio a few hours south and overall spent 3 weeks together in what I figure was close quarters.

The first week in January as we sat at the kitchen table watching snow fall and enjoying morning coffee I joked how we spent 3 weeks and never once tried to kill each other. I also enjoyed getting up in the morning doing what I wanted to do. Kathy at age 65 seems to have won a fight with cancer last year when her left kidney was removed and I would turn 63 in February. I had planned retirement at age 65 but decided to look into my benefits.

I had 25 years with my current company and am fortunate in that I was vested under the old salary pension plan. When I returned to work I crunched numbers to see what my pension benefit would be along with social security. I looked at our investments. I finally decided the time was now. I guess burying too many friends of late spooked me. Kathy is on medicare with a supplemental and still working. She was on my medical plan previously and is paid not to use her plan at her job. I opted for COBRA for a few years and we set the monies aside.

Effective 01 May 2013 I was officially retired from a company that has always treated me well. Sort of bitter sweet but so far I like it. Kathy will retire 01 September from her position managing a small TV station.

The other day Kathy asked me jokingly if I missed "bossing people around"? I told her when I get up in the mornings I now boss our two dogs around and much like the engineers that were in my charge the dogs don't listen to me either! :)

I have been doing some traveling. Spent 3 weeks in NC seeing old friends and then we spent a week in MO. for a Marine Corps reunion. Thus far this retirement stuff is fun.

Not as active with the trons that served me so well for an entire working lifetime but enjoying my other hobbies. Also, as have decided to remain in the house we own looking at major house renovations. Should keep me busy all summer anyway.

Warm Regards to All
Ron

You know Ron...what this kind of post means to me...

You are one of the few that understands what I post here. Because I am always up and down.

Ron, I consider you to be a stable good guy and a role model for me. Don't you dare bugger off. Otherwise I will get Kathy to force you to post here from time to time :p

You hopefully won't mind Ron

See you soon. And please give Kathy my love. I am very happy to hear she is doing better with the Cancer fight :)

Best regards,

tvtech

Last edited:
Good to hear! Have fun and enjoy your life at your own pace for a while!

The walkout we had at my last job a few months ago was a blessing for me as well.:D

I have so far taken the last three months off and I do not miss getting up at 5 AM to go to work from 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM on weekends then going to work at 6 PM Monday - Wednesday working 6:30 PM to 6:30 AM nights. :(

Hello Ron, it's great to hear from you again!

I sincerely hope your retirement is fun and relaxing for you. You've earned it! It's hard-working people like you who make this country what it is, and for that I salute you!

Best wishes to you and your family. I hope you continue to post here on the forum. We've missed you.

Kind regards,
Matt

So far as I mentioned this retirement stuff seems to suit me well. Keeping busy anyway and lately the NE Ohio weather sucks. Got outside things I have been wanting to do but have that on hold till things dry out. I also have a pile of my electronic test, measurement and diagnostic equipment I need to sort through. Anyway, all n all I figure I got out at a good time. :)

Hope all of you are doing well.
Ron

Congratulations Ron. Any advice to young players when going into corporate world and becoming a "project manager" etc. I don't know you, but from what I've read I think you have so much priceless experience. My concern today is that I don't feel like I can trust any company as an employer, but at the same time they expect an employee to be loyal. I just hate that.

My concern today is that I don't feel like I can trust any company as an employer, but at the same time they expect an employee to be loyal. I just hate that.

The best thing I ever did for myself is to always keep a fallback plan in place. I too have never once had an employer or even manager who I deemed completely trustworthy yet I was expected to be 100% loyal and trustworthy myself (unless that didn't fit the company's immediate goals:mad:) and I doubt I ever will.

Self made backup plans and keeping a solid justified feeling of distrust of your employer in the back of your mind. Thats the best and only guaranteed protection you can have.;)

Well that and making sure your employer believes you have severely incriminating evidence against one or more of your superiors where ever you work helps too. :D

Congratulations Ron. Any advice to young players when going into corporate world and becoming a "project manager" etc. I don't know you, but from what I've read I think you have so much priceless experience. My concern today is that I don't feel like I can trust any company as an employer, but at the same time they expect an employee to be loyal. I just hate that.

Advice? Yes, I was real fortunate or call it luck. Years ago the company I started with actually had dare I say a salaried pension plan in addition to a matching funds 401K. Eventually the company went ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) meaning we the employees owned the company. Through all of this the salaried pension plan survived. Eventually we were bought by B&W (Babcock & Wilcox) who was one of our prime customers. This was very good as we were paid for our stock ownership and they bought us at about 3X face value of the stock. At that point only those vested got to maintain the salary pension plan. I was obviously vested. Next year, for those still there and working the salary pension plan will terminate. They will get their pensions but... the clock stops ticking for years of service. Not surprising as there are no companies anymore that I know of offering a salary pension plan. We also had 100% paid medical which went away years ago as we went to a co-pay. It does seem the days are gone when a company cared about its people. Damn shame too.

My advice to the younger like my own kids is start saving and investing. Once my kids were grown Kathy and me were very fortunate as we were able to save and stash money. Well it wasn't all luck, there was a good bit of work involved. These days, I would have to say planning was paramount. I was originally going to go another few years but with the new corporate structure I saw no real point. I felt it was time to move on to retirement. Go out on top rather than see what was going to happen.

tcmtech nails it well:
Self made backup plans and keeping a solid justified feeling of distrust of your employer in the back of your mind. Thats the best and only guaranteed protection you can have.

Thanks KISS as I have seen that clip and love it.

Ron

Hello there Ron,

Again nice to hear from you, and that the Misses is doing well with that medical problem i dont like to pronounce anymore. I lost several people in my family because of that, so consider yourself very lucky :)

So now you have to find other ways to keep busy. I am sure you will find something, like posting here more often :)

So keep in touch ok?

Take care,
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back