Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I saw one guy do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

So thought I would give it a shot. What happened is my bosses wife got sick with cancer and he blew all the company money on her so I'm out of work and looking. You guys heard anything? Any hirings? Immediate employment? I can relocate but right now I'm in the Atlanta GA area.

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm unemployed too.

I have an interview next week for a job as technical service assistant at plastic moulding company. If I get the job, hopefully they'll want me to do the job advertised and not pack boxes all day but even if they do, I'm not going to quit, I'll stay there until I find something better.

Last edited:
I'm unemployed too.

I have an interview next week for a job as technical service assistant at plastic moulding company. If I get the job, hopefully they'll want me to do the job advertised and not pack boxes all day but even if they do, I'm not going to quit, I'll stay there until I find something better.

Yeah I know. Your the other guy in my title :D What happened to that Lockeed job? That looked pretty good. The market here in America is getting bad because we don't manufacture anything anymore. China out cheaped us. Well thanks to gov't most favored nation trading status.

Same old same old here. Lots of good paying work in North Dakota in the oil fields and related service industry and not enough workers yet still not enough people come.

I am looking into driving a water truck for low to mid 20's an hour for two months to build up enough money so that I dont have to work all summer. :)

Same old same old here. Lots of good paying work in North Dakota in the oil fields and related service industry and not enough workers yet still not enough people come.

I am looking into driving a water truck for low to mid 20's an hour for two months to build up enough money so that I dont have to work all summer. :)

They are still looking? Man, I gotta act now. Dern boss didn't even give me notice. Hard to say anything to him. It is his wife that wiped out the budget. She's got cancer everywhere, brain, bones, you name it. She's a gonner. Still it would have been nice if he had given about a month's notice. Really put me under the gun. But I would relocate and drag the wife kicking and screaming. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Go bluff ya way onto a construction mining site, a few years ago when I worked as a machinist in the notrhwest I was on about 2K a week and a boss came in from the HBI ( hot Brick iron) plant which was being built asking for a 1" coupling to be bored. I asked the application and told him there was a 0.0005" crush so get the fitter to throw it in the pie oven at smoko. Mind you I was at home having a beer when I got called out, so 8 hrs pay for a 30 minute job. No sooner than I cracked my first stubbie when I got home the phone rang. I had to drive back into work and make the same thing again. I asked the boss what happened and he said he did tell the fitter to throw it in the oven, he did, burnt his hand, dropped it on the ground and went to first aid then went back and used a 14lb hammer to try and install it. So I made another one and went back home earning another 8 hour pay. At 5am the next morning I got a call to go in and make a whole new shaft assembly etc, my response after the night before get me a taxi as I aint driving. The taxi turned up in 20 minutes, I got driven out to the site to inspect what I had to make and asked the boss guy what happened. It turned out the fitter who did the job was a carpet fitter not a mechanical fitter and had worked there for 7 months without the boss's knowing.

So a simple coupling job ened up costing over 20K and the end result that carpet fitter kept his job........

So go bluff ya way onto a mining site, stay in the hollows and reap the rewards untill ya found out, but get to know a few boss's so when it comes you have backup. Then you will make in a month what you would in in a year in a normal job.

Cheers Bryan

Mining work sounds cool, I always wanted to be a geologist, but it was the science part I had trouble with... :)

Go bluff ya way onto a construction mining site, a few years ago when I worked as a machinist in the notrhwest I was on about 2K a week and a boss came in from the HBI ( hot Brick iron) plant which was being built asking for a 1" coupling to be bored. I asked the application and told him there was a 0.0005" crush so get the fitter to throw it in the pie oven at smoko. Mind you I was at home having a beer when I got called out, so 8 hrs pay for a 30 minute job. No sooner than I cracked my first stubbie when I got home the phone rang. I had to drive back into work and make the same thing again. I asked the boss what happened and he said he did tell the fitter to throw it in the oven, he did, burnt his hand, dropped it on the ground and went to first aid then went back and used a 14lb hammer to try and install it. So I made another one and went back home earning another 8 hour pay. At 5am the next morning I got a call to go in and make a whole new shaft assembly etc, my response after the night before get me a taxi as I aint driving. The taxi turned up in 20 minutes, I got driven out to the site to inspect what I had to make and asked the boss guy what happened. It turned out the fitter who did the job was a carpet fitter not a mechanical fitter and had worked there for 7 months without the boss's knowing.

So a simple coupling job ened up costing over 20K and the end result that carpet fitter kept his job........

So go bluff ya way onto a mining site, stay in the hollows and reap the rewards untill ya found out, but get to know a few boss's so when it comes you have backup. Then you will make in a month what you would in in a year in a normal job.

Cheers Bryan

LOL....I don't know if I could swing that one. Sounds like a stroke of luck. I don't get much luck like that no more. The Albatross around my neck sees to that ;)

There has been a lot of things I wanted to be and have been in my life. :)

No I assume its either age or wisdom catching up with me because all I want is a routine job with the least hassles and fair pay for fair work.
I dont care if it makes me rich or not just as long as my efforts are not making someone else rich off of my labor and skills. I Have been there and done that for too long and didn't like it.

Thats where the water truck job sort of appeals to me. The work load is basic and simple, the pay is excellent in comparison to the cost of living around here, and I am basically on my own all day.:)

Fill the tank, drive to the site, empty the tank, go back and refill it again, start over. I sort of like that idea now being its not just driving and its not just standing around either.

No I assume its either age or wisdom catching up with me because all I want is a routine job with the least hassles and fair pay for fair work.
That sounds like the kind of thing I want.

The trouble is, to drive an HGV in the UK, you need a special driver's licence which costs money and effort to do.

Thats no different here.
But I have no problem getting bumped up to a full class A license anytime I want. I just need to borrow a friends truck and do the driving test. I have never needed the class A before being all the class A truck driving I do is seasonal farming and harvest work which is exempt from the license requirement. Other than that my class B CDL has been all that I have ever needed or was justified in getting.

On a more pleasant note the oil field trucking companies will certify a person too now. Being I have around 1100 + hours behind the wheel on class A trucks and solid references that back that up I should be able to walk in and get a job any time I want which I may look into next week now.

Being I need to build my new house this summer I would like to have most of my summer off so that I dont have to pay someone else to do what I can do myself for free.
Hiring contractors may be far quicker but unfortunately they are costly and also sloppy and tend to cut corners too much for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back