I think I gave PIC 12V instead of 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavelot

hello

I was testing a circuit I buy that was having problems, and I dumbly ended up letting a 12V cable touch a diode that is connected to a PIC-12F629
it then stopped working

is there a way to make sure the problem is on the PIC (it's unprobable that it may have burned something else before reaching the PIC, but who knows)? some pins I can check?
also, is it possible to recover the saved program to copy it to another PIC?

thanks,
Luis Fernando

If you've killed the PIC then you obviously can't do anything with it - applying 12V to it would almost certainly kill it pretty instantly?.

Try putting the PIC in your programmer and see if it will read, if it does then the PIC is probably OK - if it doesn't, then the PIC is toast!.

Presumably you already have the original code burned in the PIC, if not you're stuffed!.

Let it go.

If you have bought the circuit, there are 99% chance that you won't be able to read the code out, even if it is brand new and working fine.

As for toasted PIC, you can try. May be the electric shock would "unlock" the PIC accidentally.

Providing your 12V supply is current limited a 5V6 zener across the 5V supply will help to prevent this kind of acident from killing the PIC.

If both the 5V supply and 12V supplies are short circuit protected then an SCR and zener crowbar will provide an even greater level of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…