Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

spudgun1992

Hi, im fairly new to electronics so i'm a little confused.

Basically I have a 4069 Microchip as shown below

**broken link removed**

Now from what I understand, the chip needs to be powered using pin 7 as the negative and 14 as the positive (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Also, the signal which I want to invert using pin 1 is too powerful (12v at 10 amps), or so I believe it is, should I use a resistor to lower the voltage, and if so what should the voltage be for this as well.

Something else that I also don't understand, is why do we need to power the chip, when I'am putting a voltage through pin 1 anyway.

Finally, what do I need to do with the other unused pins, if anything?

Sorry if I sound silly, but after a day of searching around on the internet, I have become a little confused.

Thanks in advance for your help

hi,
You need to power the IC with 12V [pin14] and 0V[pin7] if you are applying a 12V input signal on pin#1.
When you say 12V at 10A, what is that,,, a battery or something else.???

Last edited:
Basically, i'm trying to invert the signal from a car's sidelights, hence the 12v signal at 10A. I then want the output signal of this, to power a set of daytime running lights. So when the car's sidelights are on the daytime running lights are off and vice versa.

Hope this helps to explain things a little more clearly?

Hi,

You're going to need a power stage also to drive the lights. You may be better off using a transistor for an inverter rather than this IC chip. The transistor is more rugged for these automobile applications.

Ok, thanks for your help
Hi,

You're going to need a power stage also to drive the lights. You may be better off using a transistor for an inverter rather than this IC chip. The transistor is more rugged for these automobile applications.

Definitely a relay is the simplest way to go, with the coil energised when the sidelights are on, and the running lights supplied via N.C. contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back