Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICL7106 and LCD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabauti

I have been doing a project using a LCD and the IC 7106. The problem I have is that additional decimal points are showed on the LCD screen, but I didn't connect the respective pins ! ?_? I only connected the first right decimal point.

**broken link removed**

Maybe some experienced users have had similar problem , that's the reason I posted here this problem.

Circuit attached

any thoughts?

Attachments

• scheme.GIF
    scheme.GIF
    105.3 KB · Views: 5,051
Last edited:
hi,
You have to connect the unused decimal point pins to the LCD backplane [BP] pin to switch them OFF.:)

mabauti said:
COM or COM1?

should I connect both COM & COM1?
hi,
Look at the 7106 pins, see the BP pin, this is the Backplane osc output.OK.:)

excuse me : should I connect both COM & COM1?

and , just a last question : the LCD reading drifts randomly , e.g. : from 25.8 to 27.4 then 26.9 then 33.7 then 25.4 , etc.

any comments about this?

mabauti said:
excuse me : should I connect both COM & COM1?
and , just a last question : the LCD reading drifts randomly , e.g. : from 25.8 to 27.4 then 26.9 then 33.7 then 25.4 , etc.

any comments about this?

hi,
>>> should I connect both COM & COM1?
I cannot find a datasheet for the LCD??

Do the readings drift when the input probes are shorted together?
Also, how are you powering the 7109?

EDIT:

The connections for generic LCD are shown, its says link commons..

Last edited:
hi,
It looks as though you are using the diode as a temperature measuring sensor???
Where did you get the circuit design from?

Also I dont see any decoupling on your circuit diagram, I appreciate you are using a 9V PP3 battery, but these batteries do have a 'high-ish' internal resistance.
The 7106 will generate some electrical noise on the power rails and you have the sensor diode and Vref/offset connected to that rail.
Connect a 47uF and a 0.1uF capacitor across the power rails.

Have you measured the 9V battery voltage when the circuit is connected.?

It looks as though you are using the diode as a temperature measuring sensor???
It was only for schematic purposes, actually I'm using a NPN BJT

Where did you get the circuit design from?
Electronics Now , March '95

I appreciate you are using a 9V PP3 battery, but these batteries do have a 'high-ish' internal resistance.
I'm using both : rechargeable and alkaline, even an AC-DC adapter

Connect a 47uF and a 0.1uF capacitor across the power rails
Done, same result =[

Have you measured the 9V battery voltage when the circuit is connected.?
It has a stable reading

btw: the only difference between that design and that of intersil datasheet is the 1Mohm resistor in the zero adjust pot

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi Mabauti,

Try changing the integrating capacitor, the same value but a different
type of capacitor. See if you can find a polypropylene type.
See also page 10 of the datasheet.

on1aag.

How far away is the temperature sensing transistor from the rest of the circuit? Are you using a shielded cable as depicted in the diagram with the shield connected to pin 32 of the 7106?

Re:

It is working now! o_Ô

I did what on1aag1 said, the circuit became more stable, however it still had drifting (pretty much less though). I blame batteries w/o enough charge (I'm using the same batteries I started with)

How far away is the temperature sensing transistor from the rest of the circuit?
~10 centimeters

Are you using a shielded cable as depicted in the diagram with the shield connected to pin 32 of the 7106?
No at any time.

A new question rises about this kind of IC, from the following schematic

**broken link removed**

Question : Will the LCD be burnt because of connecting directly the TEST pin to the DP1?

hi mabauti,
PLZ send me c code of your time display project.......
i want to introduce this future in my college project........
plz help me............

Hi Kchriste

Im building a circuit using the diode as a temperature measuring sensor incuding 7106IC and LCD. But I cant figure how to connect the LCD pins to the IC pins as in circuit diagram it has one big arrow incuding all pins. Please help me...

Last edited:
hi mabauti

Im building a circuit using the diode as a temperature measuring sensor incuding 7106IC and LCD. But I cant figure how to connect the LCD pins to the IC pins as in circuit diagram it has one big arrow incuding all pins. Please help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back