Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Icon meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this icon mean?

**broken link removed**

For indoor use???

What is the name of it? Any link to a description of it online?

indoor use only yes.
meaning that it's not meant to be used outdoors. Therefore it doesn't like direct sunlight, too much humidity (rain for instance or just early morning/late evening fog etc. also temperatures should be around 20 degrees. not much over not under (-+10 degrees is usually recommended).

bloody-orc said:
also temperatures should be around 20 degrees. not much over not under (-+10 degrees is usually recommended).
I agree but this symbol is confusing to the consumer as it doesn't mention the temperature range. Some rooms in my house exceed that temperature range, the conservatory can get to 50°C on a hot summer's day and below freezing in winter.

Kind of what I figured, but just wasn't 100% sure. What standard is that symbol a part of? That way I can look up the exact specifics of what the symbol means.

heh that symbol is on my cell phone battery

I guess by 'indoor' they mean inside the cell phone? obviously the cell phone goes out doors quite often

seems like a convenient way for the industry to disclaimer itself, without actually informing the consumer of anything - cryptic little symbols

A consveratory is not what you would call a classic indoor environment, it is after all meant to emulate an outdoor environment indoors. Yes it is indoors but that's being far too lenient in exactly what indoor environment means. Same thing with the cell phone refrence, sure cellphones go outdoors but they're also usually shielded from direct contact with the environment, either in a bag, or a holster that is not typically in direct contact with sun for excessive amounts of time.
Those symbols are meant to be descriptive without requireing language, because a tiny icon would describe more than the 4 pages of text that would have to be in it's place to explain what it means it ever language.

I agree but the average consumer won't think that.

My dad always complained about a signal booster installed in the conservatory getting pretty hot when operating in full sun. I told him that it was common sense that he shouldn't operate it in full sun but he said that there was nothing on the box or instructions warning him against it so he didn't see the problem.

The average consumer reads words on a box like they were God's writ, without thought. I like the icons, they require thought to interpret but are universally readable by anyone who thinks about it for a bit.

The sun can cause death and cancer to humans that are exposed to it for extended periods of time, what would be the logic in thinking that an electronics device might not have comparable problems in the same situations? Electronics like being in human comfortable conditions just as much if not more so than humans do =)

Then again I see humans walking in and out of tanning salons every day and laying down in front of devices which are as powerful if not moreso than the UV lamps used in waste water sanitation plants. It's the equivilant to seeing a 5 volt max rated electronics device thinking application of 10 volts for a short period of time a day is safe and makes it feel and look better as the materials that make it up decay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back