Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas about WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I found a old WiFi router and it still works (well it powers up :)) so I started thinking what are some projects I can do with this? I used Google but I could not really find any good project links. Do you have any suggestions, links etc?

I've always thought that wifi is a good medium for house/burglar alarms.
the basic requirement would be a control room set-up close by.
It will beat the socks of a radio link for speed, be very similar to gsm in terms of speed, but probably be more reliable.
That last part might depend where you are, the SA gsm providers have a lot of trouble from time to time.

enters wifi.

Well you could write your own firmware? and use it as a custom network controller....or scrap it for parts ^^

Anything inbetween those two would be really tricky...wifi (802.11a/b/g) has many many layers to it, most of which will be embedded within the IC's inside the router. Unfortunately its not just a case of having a generic '2.4Ghz transciever'. Spread spectrum, encryption, convolutional encoding/decoding are just some of the goodies inside any wifi capable device - cards, PCI adapters, and routers. etc..

The best idea I can come up with is a mobile wifi LAN. As in, try and reduce its power consuption, rehouse it inside something, and use a SMPS powered by batteries. Or even better, rig it up to a car so its a 'mobile WLAN'!!

As for getting into the guts of it and using it for something completely different?....who knows. What did you have in mind?

Blueteeth

what make/model is it? there are a number of projects for alternate firmware for wifi routers. A lot of them run embedded linux - lots of tools. I know one of the LinkSys models has a number of them and people are doing all sorts of things with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back