Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identifying filter type based on magnitutde reponse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngeow

This question is one on magnitude respone.

Question:

**broken link removed**

Answer:

**broken link removed**

You can refer to the answer to see the different values you get when you sub in omega,anyway,the rough sketch of the magnitude response from 0 to pi that I got looks like this:

**broken link removed**

Looking at the magnitude response it looks like a band stop filter to me,but the answer provided said that it was a low pass filter? Is the answer wrong maybe?Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help! :D

Chebychev LPF, the reason why the magnitude go's back up because its inherent to the chebychev type, butterworths don't have this.

kind regards

For a band stop filter the right side of the response gain after 2*pi/3 would be as large as the left side. The response at pi is much less then the response at 0 (assuming we are looking at a log or dB plot). This means the response is a low pass filter (with ripple in the stop band).

Hi,

Sometimes you have to look at more of the response too. If you look at only part of a response it may look like a bandstop but if you look at more of it you'll see that the hills go up and down several times (looks like a hair comb) but the general tendency is to decrease with frequency so overall it's still a low pass filter.
I havent checked this actual response myself (yet) but from what others are saying that's most likely what threw you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back