Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Igniting the contents of an aeroso can, from a safe distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Yeah, I know, kind of a stupid an irresponsable idea... It just wouldn't leave my head all morning at work. Guess it's kind of our July 4th holiday, freedom from british rule...

Anyway, I've got maybe a dozen or so cans of partially used, paints, cleaners, and so forth, that have been sitting around for way too many years, and no particular plans that might include using any of them in the years to come. The contents may not even be useful.

As a young child, I remembered seeing some older kids making some impressive jets of flame with a lighter, but I was never that comfortable with stuff that could explode. Just curious if an electric spark could ignite this stuff, or if an actual flame is needed...

HarveyH42 said:
Yeah, I know, kind of a stupid an irresponsable idea... It just wouldn't leave my head all morning at work. Guess it's kind of our July 4th holiday, freedom from british rule...

Anyway, I've got maybe a dozen or so cans of partially used, paints, cleaners, and so forth, that have been sitting around for way too many years, and no particular plans that might include using any of them in the years to come. The contents may not even be useful.

As a young child, I remembered seeing some older kids making some impressive jets of flame with a lighter, but I was never that comfortable with stuff that could explode. Just curious if an electric spark could ignite this stuff, or if an actual flame is needed...
Look up hair spray cannon.

You'll have better luck with a flame - and I mean luck! Think about it: when you use flint to light a propane touch, there's a series of sparks, not just one, and there's a much steadier flow of fuel coming out than there will ever be in an aerosol can. You'd be very lucky to be able to start a flame with an aerosol can if, for instance, you tried to start it with a single spark, unless the nozzle of the spray can was very close to the spark. You'd have better luck with a tazer or something repetitive like that.

The only time I've seen anyone keep a continuous flame on an aerosol can was when they were holding a lighter constantly in front of the nozzle. I think that's how flame-throwers work, too. They don't keep a continuous flame going by themselves like a propane torch - I guess it's got to do with how they spray the fuel.

I've never been stupid enough to try any of this, by the way. It's exactly the kind of thing I enjoy observing and criticizing more than experiencing myself. So... video tape the whole thing, for my amusement.

Last edited:
I agree with Ron H. Search on hair spray cannon or potato cannon. Great fun with the kids, Independence Day, etc. I used a replacement flint starter from something...they were at the local hardware store. I thnk they were originally replacements for Coleman laterns.

Results vary with the brand of hair spray. Seems the cheaper the better. I also believe it may be a little safer, because the amount of combustible is limited to the cannon barrel. Never had one explode or even crack. John

Unless the right ratio of fuel and air exists you'll get nothing. An example: a propane storage tank has some level of liquid propane- the gas above it is gaseous propane - that is unless someone has added something. Without oxygen neither the liquid or gas will ignite if you were to insert a spark plug and run a continuous spark.

If you had a chamber with a spark plug/ignition coil and you started with pure propane you could spark it all day at 100% propane and 0% air. Start to bleed in some air and the ratio changes - when it gets to the upper explosive limit (UEL) - kaboom! Run the test the other way with 0% propane and 100% air - add propane and it goes off when you hit the lower explosive limit (LEL).

Now, you could get ignition if the spray can were pressurized with compressed air over a volatile combustible liquid but compressed air isn't often used for that.

How well does paint flame up? I've never tried it myself. I know carb cleaner and either will make a flame, but i don't know about paint. I can't imagine all cleaners would flame either. Brake cleaner would, but scrubbing bubbles, prolly not? Anyone ever been crazy enough to try it?

Haven't seen anybody do it in the last 30 or so years, so guessing it's only for a brave (stupid, drunk, or stoned) few. Judging from what I remember of the fumes, all these should be flameable (believe its mentioned on the cans). Not sure what changes to expect from age. I guee the best, would be a propane torch, and a soleniod or servo to depress the nozzle button on the can.
Video is doubtful, I'll be some place where I'll hopefully feel safe from the potential of flying bits of metal. The backyard security camera is Black and White (could swap it out), but no way to transfer from VCR.

Kind of thinking it might be best to replace the plastic nozzle with a small diameter metal tube, so it sprays straight up. Think it might make things a little safer, as everything could go into an old 55 gallon drum. If it does explode, should blow in a safer direction...

Hair lacquer sprays work really well

I used to use a hair lacquer flame thrower on irritating insects.

Hold one of those cheap disposable lighters set to large flame just underneath and in front off the aerosol nozzle.

Probably best to do this outdoors

Have fun !

PS cellulose paints (as found in car shops) are great!

Last edited:
Andy1845c said:
How well does paint flame up? I've never tried it myself. I know carb cleaner and either will make a flame, but i don't know about paint. I can't imagine all cleaners would flame either. Brake cleaner would, but scrubbing bubbles, prolly not? Anyone ever been crazy enough to try it?

I would not recommed carb cleaner. There are a lot of formulas out there for it. Some contain methylene chloride or similar chlorocarbons, and you don't want to have those in a flame. Some are combustible; some are not. In a flame, however, you may get some fairly toxic by-products (like phosgene). Substituted phenols, which may also be present, will be smoky.

I would recommend sticking to hair spray (propane propellant/lacquer base) or straight propane. Spray lacquer should also work -- you may even use it as hair spray -- but it will tend to gum up the cannon more. I have never used MAPP. It should be smoky from the acetylene. John

It's low-tech, but a soda straw partly packed with flour makes a neat flash. Just blow it out over a candle flame. It's the same kind of phenomenon that blows up the occasional grain elevator. And there's no toxicity if you get some in your mouth. Fairly safe for kids.

Ron H said:
You may have to register to see this **broken link removed**.
now that is cool. I love the picture of the guy with the helmet. However, looking at the parts list I can only conclude that project is waaayyy over the top.

well as for 4th of july freedom from british rule is bush any better ? god what the hell do americans think about when voting ? if you want to throw flames just bugger off to iraq

j.p.bill said:
It's low-tech, but a soda straw partly packed with flour makes a neat flash. Just blow it out over a candle flame. It's the same kind of phenomenon that blows up the occasional grain elevator. And there's no toxicity if you get some in your mouth. Fairly safe for kids.
cool, i never would have thought it would work with flour.:confused:

Yeh, it's terrible in the United States. Please pass that message along to the Mexican citizens and other nationalities who are demonstrating in THEIR capital cities against the American policy that won't let them immigrate to the US. John

Last edited:
jpanhalt said:
Yeh, it's terrible in the United States.
Yeah.
They start wars.
They are obsessed with guns and other weapons.
They have ghettos with extreme poverty.
They have devestating hurricanes.

Why would anybody want to go there??

Southern Texas and southern California are exactly the same as northern Mexico.
Except Mexico doesn't have as many Americans.

A few Mexicans survive the trip through America to reach Canada without being shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back