Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm after a PIC programmer/dev board - Junebug in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

Hey, I'm a complete amateur really - compared to other users of this site at least - but I want to do more with PICs.

As such, I'm after a programmer & development board. The Junebug looks like a great deal - but I can't find it in the UK! Anyone?

If that's a no go, two questions:

1) I'm in Florida in a couple of weeks. It's a long shot, but what sort of stores should I look out for that'd sell it?
2) What (cheapish!) programmer an dev kits would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Hi send blueroomelectronic a pm he designed the junebug and is very helpful. i am also in the uk and i got a junebug through bill (blueroom). its a great programmer

Ah excellent, thanks!

Also, before I take the plunge into learning something properly, is PIC a good way to go still? I'm only just starting out, so I could easily change course and use arduino or whatever instead - if that's where the future lies.

ah well thats going to be a matter of prefference. i am also a noob i been into this stuff for about a year ish, but i have been in hospital for a fair bit of that so i am still very much noob fodder. i started with the pic and the june bug after posting for recomendations. i didnt realy understand alot of what i was being told, looking back at some of my earliest posts i laugh now at the fact i was hung up on getting something with a ZIFF socket for programing.
the members here showed a great deal of patcince with me (and still do :D ) and eventualy alot of what they were telling me sunk in. I bit the bullet and got a junebug direct from blueroom. i didnt realy know why i was doing it at the time except that it had been widely recomended in alot of threads. the junebug is a pickit2 clone and i nearly went for a straight pickit2 but i am realy glad i didnt, the junebug is exceptional value especialy for beginners such as ourselves it has very wide support on here and a tutor on board with loads and loads of goodies such as swiches leds pots even a ird! so for a begginer just starting out its a very cheap way to plunge straight in. Blueroom is also an active member on here and is always willing to help answer questions. there is loads of code kicking about on the forum for it as well. if it breaks then getting help to fix it is straight forward and its easy to repair (so i am told as i havnt actualy managed to break mine YET!).
so a junebug gets a big thumbs up from me. i wont get into the AVR pic debate as its pointless and runs along the lines of whats the better colour red or blue! on this particular forum wich is one of the most freindly and informative forums you will find anywhere with loads of great people with huge amounts of knowledge i would say the pic is the main beast, there are other forums who have a bias for other MCU's. personaly i have never used anything other than a pic and i cant see microchip not being part of the future.
but ultimately the choice will boil down to personal preference. as a side note where in the uk are you?
jason

OK, cheers.

I too had liked the look of something with a ZIF - but I don't really know why, I guess it just looked a bit more professional, and they are often on the higher-end boards it seems.

For ages I've been planning on making my own PICKit2 clone, from scratch, but the cost is just too high - I forget the model, but you need a RS232 - USB converter which seems to be only available as an SMD. So once you've bought that + a breakout board, plus everything else...

I'll go with PIC then to start off, I've got some lying around so I should be able to have some fun :p after posting my last, I had a look at a "5 best MCUs" or something to that affect article.

It basically said PIC for the win - Arduino is fantastic but don't go for it until seasoned with something else; and AVR is ok.

So PIC it is! I always get tempted by using something as big and as powerful as possible, but in reality, I know I can and should save the money and confusion because it'll be a few years minimum until I'm working on anything like complex enough to need more than a PIC. I've PMed blueroomelectronics, hopefully getting one won't be a problem.

I'm not too far from yourself, down in Dorset.

Last edited:
Dorset isnt far at all! the junebug is a usb beast so much quicker and better than a serial programmer. most the time i use ICSP so a ziff would be a waste of time for me anyway! i started with 18f chips and the junebug comes complete with a 18f1320 ready to be played with. it realy is good value! what language do you intend to start with? i confess in the start i tried just about all of them lol but 99% of the time i use c18 i found it (and still do) one of the most difficult to get your head around but its free and i prefer it to mikroc wich i actualy paid for and wished i hadnt! there is loads of stuff on the web for ccs but i spose i have gotten used to c18. alot of people swear by swordfish basic but i figured if you were gonna learn to program then might as well start with what your going to end with :D
you will be amazed just how much help is on this site and be warned you are exspected to follow the pic programming rite of passage and flash LEDS first ;)

To be quite honest, I'd not given it much thought.

I've used BASIC for a couple of PICs before, but I'm not really sure how sustainable that'd be for more complex projects.

I'm currently learning Python - but I understand using it for PICs is possible but somewhat hacky.

I guess I'll just have a fiddle, see what workflow works for me best. I'll start off by just grabbing MPLAB, and try out C18 - after a quick google there seems to be much discussion on it.

Is there a "standard" that Microchip promote/expect?

i dont think so, microchip do c18 and also HITECH C wich is a nice compiler, c18 is a good place to start. but others here may have better sugestions. i tried swordfish but realy didnt like it but as i said before many others think its great. may be worth downloading trial versions of one or two compilers and haveing a play!

I enjoy using oshonsoft's PIC simulator IDE. You can program in assembly or Basic and you can then simulate your program on the computer with many add-on modules such as a UART or even a GLCD. If it works you can upload it too your PIC.

I enjoy using oshonsoft's PIC simulator IDE. You can program in assembly or Basic and you can then simulate your program on the computer with many add-on modules such as a UART or even a GLCD. If it works you can upload it too your PIC.

hi,
In case you have not seen it, there is an Oshonsoft Forum on ETO.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/code-snippets-for-the-oshonsoft-basic-compiler.112540/

Please add any code fragments/programs to the 'Snippets' you have for Oshonsoft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back