Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improve Network Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

nye

Im not sure whether this is exactly connected to electronics..but here goes..

I jus got and ADSL connection..when i open windows task manager, i can see that the network utilization is below abt 5 %..sometimes even below 2.5%..
does anybody hav any idea how i can improve it??btw i alreadu use google web accelerator...
thanks

What makes you think the network utilization should be higher. Depending on what you are doing 2-5% seems like a reasonable number. You might try watching the number during the download of a large .pdf file or maybe a large software install .zip file. Depending on the speed of the hose, your computer may not be able to drink from it continuously.

I'm getting the feeling you want to increase the network utilization numbers because you think that's a good thing? Low network utiliziation is better. It's kind of like CPU usage- the lower the better. It's like a pipe, the more stuff in the pipe the easier it is for it to clog...so you want to keep the pipe as empty as possible so whatever you need to flow, flows as fast as possible.

You know...the horse rides faster with a lighter load.

Last edited:
another thing, that meter may be showing the overall maximum capacity of your ethernet port, most likely 100mbit , not the actual speed of your internet connection, most likely under 5mbit ... it would take an expensive commerical / industrial grade connection to saturate a standard ethernet port.

oh i c..so then lower is better....
i use torrents alot...so thought i could get better speeds tht way...thanks anyway..

the network utilization is showing ur network cards speed (10/100Mbps) and ur adsl will be no where near that speed.also don't forget that internet is packet based , and it may be sending any thing when ur performance meter is refreshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back