In Circuit Serial Programmer /ICSP/ for PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raslan

Hello,
I am using PIC18F452 and I am looking for a wiring diagram that shows In Board programming.

My problem that I am using an smd PIC which means that I can not move it from the board for the programming so can you please tell me how can I programm it serial by using the option In Circuit Serial Programming /ICSP/

I will be thanksful for you all
Best Wishs
Raslan

Re: ICSP

Hi there,

The easiest way to use the ICSP that I have found is just to connect the board that contains the device that you want to program straight to the programmer.

This can be done really easily by making a common GND then connect RB6,RB7 (Serial Data & Clock) and of cause Mclr.

Because my programmer doesn't have ICSP support I use a turn pin DIL socket and then plug the jump leads into the DIL socket then connect the other ends of the jump leads to your desired board.

I have included a photo just in case you don't quite understand what I getting at.

I have found that this works very well and saves a lot of time.

Note that once you have programmed the desired device you need to disconnect the Mclr lead for the board to carry on as normal.

You will also need to power up the desired board before attempting to program.

All the best

Pete.

Attachments

• IMAG0005.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Thank you guys for this nice help but Micro82 I have a question please

It would be nice if I can programm the microcontroller directly by connecting it to the computer serial port without having a programmer as an againt.

I saw some guys they have connected thier controllers (AVR) directly to the computer's serial port and I guess there is some way to do that in the pic.

So do you have an idea about that?
Best Wishes
Raslan

Yes but as I can remmeber it was very simple one. it is a matter of simple switch in order to refere the hardware to the programming mode or normal mode (I guess that was for MCLR since it needs 13 V during the programming) and a matter of 2 resistors and that is it!

As you are using the 18f452, you can incorperate a "boot loader" into your code, (see www.microchip.com and search for bootloader etc). This means that you could program your part without a dedicated pic programmer (terms and conditions apply!).

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…