Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In what order did my components arrive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

A little test for you all.

A fortnight ago I placed an order for components from 3 suppliers on the same day (online).

They are Jaycar (Australia), Microchip (Thailand) and HWV Technologies (North America).

I am based in the UK, in which order did I get the components?????

Regards

Mark

I don't know, you tell me.

Microship were probably last and HWV were probably first.

Is this a "take a guess at the crappy service I am getting", or is your english just bad? :p

I am going to take a wild guess and say in the same order you listed them in the OP...

UTMonkey said:
A little test for you all.

A fortnight ago I placed an order for components from 3 suppliers on the same day (online).

They are Jaycar (Australia), Microchip (Thailand) and HWV Technologies (North America).

I am based in the UK, in which order did I get the components?????

I would suggest probably the order you put them in?, Australia are usually VERY fast, when I've had stuff from MicroChip Thailand they have been pretty good as well, North America is very variable (as is Canada) - sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

I've had stuff sent by "Priority Mail" from the USA and its taken nearly a month to turn up (rather than the 3-4 days quotes).

It wasn't the vendors fault either - the postmark backed them up that they had posted quickly.

picbits said:
I've had stuff sent by "Priority Mail" from the USA and its taken nearly a month to turn up (rather than the 3-4 days quotes).

It wasn't the vendors fault either - the postmark backed them up that they had posted quickly.

Yes, annoying isn't it, it has airmail stickers on it, you've paid for airmail, yet the US post office send it surface mail :mad:

Problem is, you can't rely on it, sometimes it's fast - other times it takes ages.

Here in Aus, anything I send to UK gets there in a couple of days. Other way around 2 weeks (months at xmas). I believe that in the UK they wait until they have a plane load.

Mike.

I had a small parcel take about a month to arrive from the USA.

It was just over the £18 import limit so I had to collect it from the Post Office sorting office depot.
I did not mind paying the duty BUT the post office also charged a standard £8 "admin" fee on top!
Do other countries have such low duty free import limits?

picasm said:
I had a small parcel take about a month to arrive from the USA.

It was just over the £18 import limit so I had to collect it from the Post Office sorting office depot.
I did not mind paying the duty BUT the post office also charged a standard £8 "admin" fee on top!
Do other countries have such low duty free import limits?

It's really pretty unlucky to get charged, I've had many items from abroad, and only once been caught for import fees - import duty + 17.5% VAT + admin charge for collecting the money!.

But generally I don't order from abroad because it's cheaper, but because I can't get what I want in the UK.

Thanks for your responses, and now the results....

In first place after 5 calendar days (with a weekend in the middle)

1. MicroChip

8 Days..

2. HWV Tech

And after 2 weeks I am still waiting for Jaycar! (been told to expect in the 3rd week)

Thank you, you've been a lovely audience!

Mark

Did you checkout RS Components?

They might be more expensive but they deliver for free and it often arives the next day!

Here in Aus there is no duty or tax if the items are valued under $1000.

Mike.

Just to report the end of this saga..

The stuff from JayCar finally arrived after 3 weeks.

Got stiffed with £22 handling charge, nice!

They seem to be hotting up over the import duties in the UK lately.

I got stiffed for an extra £20 for something that only cost me £30 :(

picbits said:
They seem to be hotting up over the import duties in the UK lately.

I got stiffed for an extra £20 for something that only cost me £30 :(

Aye laddy. I'm waiting for some special connectors from jolly old england. It will take another week to hit the states and another week probably to ship them.

God save the queen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back