In4001

Status
Not open for further replies.

guys i tried my best but was unable to findout why this 555 timer is put into this circuit

the ckt. shown here is a controlling of stepper motor through PC along with an IR ckt mounted on the stepper motor.

thank you

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 338
ericgibbs said:
Do the links I posted answer your question.?
well my friend i dont think so ,ur answer tells me the specification of the device but doesnt tell me the meaning of each letter .

if u know the answer please tell me the solution

Its a very poor drawing, where is it from.?

shankbond said:
well my friend i dont think so ,ur answer tells me the specification of the device but doesnt tell me the meaning of each letter .

Look at the attached diagram, from the datasheet link I posted,that explains it.

Why do you need to know in such detail.?

Last edited:
shankbond said:

1N4001 is a little like shankbond. It's how you spell the diode's name.
Maybe it's also a little like my name: 6 7/8 McFadden. When I was born, my mother and father couldn't decide on a name, so they threw a bunch of names into a hat. By mistake, they pulled out the size of the hat.
Perhaps the 1N4001 was named by throwing a bunch of numbers into a hat, and then pulling them out at random.
Seriously, Eric has explained about all there is to know, except for one thing. The "1N" prefix is, AFAIK, reserved for diodes. No other type of semiconductor will have a 1N prefix. However, not all diodes begin with 1N.

shankbond said:
The 1N indicates a diode. The rest of the numbers are arbitrary and have no meaning other than to designate a particular diode.

Gee. I thought the "1N" stood for one region of N-type semiconductor. The prefix for trnasistors, "2N", meant that there were two regions of N-type semiconductor. That's what the GV (grizzled veteran) told me when I was a young'un. I never had a reason to challenge his version of events. Is it possible he was telling a whopper?

Reactions: 3v0

Do PNP transistors start 2P then?.

That wasn't part of the story from the GV, and durn if I didn't forget to ask him that all those years ago. Guess we'll never know.

As I recall, the early germanium trannies were PNPs. The only "2N" one I can think of offhand is 2N404. I don't know if the 2N prefix came before the introduction of NPNs or not, but if so, it would pretty much kill that explanation.

According to a book I have, the first number (before N) is the number of leads minus one that the device has.

2N2222 (NPN) 2N2907 (PNP) follows the convention
2N3904 (NPN) 2N3906 (PNP) does not

Beware - Here there be tygers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…