Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm and USB to Seriel adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

OY2L

If, i build a Inchworm can i so be sure it will work on my laptop
using an USB to seriel adapter.

I might be wrong but I think theres an add on for the inchworm, its like firefly or something which is addds some functions and also allows usb communication. I could be wrong but I'll see if I can find it I think I read that somewhere

/edit: I was wrong its called the unicorn **broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have used an Inchworm with a USB to RS232 adapter. The adapter I have does not have all the handshake lines implemented but it still worked fine.

Mike.

You can go two ways.

The best is to get the Unicorn board which can be used as an experimenter board or as a USB connection for the inchworm. I am not sure if these have been released yet.

USB to serial adaptors can work but are slower. I have seen the info on which ones work on the BlueroomElectronics.com site but could not locate it just now. Bill?

The unicorn is the way to go. It uses a 18F4550 and has connectors for LCD, GLCD, RS485 and I2C devices. I am in the process of building one and it is a great board.

I'd agree with 3v0; the Unicorn USB interface for the Inchworm+ is definitely the way to go.

I've been using one for over a month and downloading code and especialy debugging mode is much faster than the RS-232 interface.

**broken link removed**

Thanks all, glad you're enjoying the kits.

Now this may seem obvious but I didn't realize it at first. The speed of the debug mode will increase depending on the speed of your target. 32KHz is slow and 20MHz or more very fast.

The 16F886 defaults to 4MHz internal and the debugger loads and runs very quickly, the 16F88 default is 32KHz and the debugger takes longer to start until you up the osc rate in your program.

Geko,

Can I ask, what you used to join the 2 boards together? At the moment I have 15mm standoffs and I think I can reduce these to 12mm. This means I need a 20*2 connector that will fill this gap.

I assume I would use these
**broken link removed**
on the bottom of the Inchworm and some sort of socket on the Unicorn. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike.

They are just standard double wide 0.1" x 20 x 2 headers just like on old hard drives. I've used a shrouded one on the Inchworm+ to keep the pins from damage when not using the Unicorn. Male Inchworm+, Female Unicorn.

You could also just put 2 rows of 20pin inline connectors like the LCD type on the board, when mounted 12mm standoffs are the desired spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back