Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm+ or Junebug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lclark

Noob here, looking for advice. I just got 3 pieces of PIC16F877 on eBay for 99 cents each and would like to try my hand at programming them. I've been looking at programmers and want one that will be fairly friendly to learn on, but that I won't outgrow quickly or be limited to just a few PICs. I am leaning towards the Inchworm+ or the Junebug, but which one is best for a beginner? Thanks for your time, and I really appreciate the huge amount of information that everyone takes time to post on this site. It really helps beginners like me.
Thanks again,
Laura Clark

The Junebug is a good choice. You can learn quite a bit using the built in target/tutor. The Junebug is also much faster then the Inchworm+ unless you add the Unicorn board to the Inchworm+ that will allow it to communicate at USB speeds.

The Junebug/PICkit2 should support all the chips you will be interested in for quite a while.

Yes Junebug is a good choice, have both debugger and tutor on one PCB. Inchworm+ alone is just a debugger so you'd need to wire your microcontroller on a breadboard (for example). Of course you can do that with Junebug as well but you can start with the tutor first and then try a circuit on a breadboard. Third possibility would be a PicKit2 from Microchip + breadboard.

Petr

Thanks

Wow! A response in less than five minutes! Now that's fast!
Thanks for the advice...I sure appreciate it.

Thanks 3v0 and petrv. I think I will go with the Junebug. The tutor sounds like a great way to get my feet wet before diving into anything else. Thanks again for the quick responses.

lclark said:
I ordered one this afternoon. :D
You won't regret it. Be sure to pick up the latest copy of the PICKIT2 software (and see other threads about the built in Logic Analyzer capabilities). Simply brilliant. With this in hand, and using the built in IR capabilities of the JuneBug, I've reworked some ASM code to talk to my APEX remote.

Very Satisfied with my decision. (Though we will *HAVE* to look into adding that extra memory, now that the pickit2 software is now supporting the use of the offline programming feature)

:D

Well that connector along the top was pinned out so the EEPROM memories could be added. You still need a USB power supply for that feature though.

LabRat said:
...Very Satisfied with my decision. (Though we will *HAVE* to look into adding that extra memory, now that the pickit2 software is now supporting the use of the offline programming feature)
:D
I have used my Junebug for programming EEPROM and it worked great.

What I want to know is why people are cranked up about the offline programming feature. It is another bell but I do not see much use for it unless you are setting up a production line.

The one thing I can come up with is this. If you had a home control system with a bunch of identical controllers you could load the new code to the programmer and then visit each unit to update the code. It saves you taking the laptop with you on the trip. I would rather use the laptop and watch the output window as it shows me each step.

The new logic analyzer feature is much more useful. It does not have a lot of channels but it will come in handy.

3v0 said:
I have used my Junebug for programming EEPROM and it worked great.

What I want to know is why people are cranked up about the offline programming feature. It is another bell but I do not see much use for it unless you are setting up a production line.

Not even that, it's intended for updating prooduct in the field, no messing about, just plug in a simple small box and away you go.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Not even that, it's intended for updating prooduct in the field, no messing about, just plug in a simple small box and away you go.
Someone at Microchip must think it is a good idea. I have no field experiance. I would want a laptop with me for the option of loading several versions (rollback) or servicing more then one device.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
Someone at Microchip must think it is a good idea. I have no field experiance. I would want a laptop with me for the option of loading several versions (rollback) or servicing more then one device.

Imagine you've got to update dozens of identical products in a factory - far easier to carry a PICKit2 in your pocket, than cart a laptop round.

The center of the top connector has the I2C I/O for the pair of 24LC512s, I wonder if the PICkit2 code could pick up on a single 24LC1024 instead?

The address on the two EEPROMs the PICkit2 has built in (Junebug does not) here's a beta page of the extended Junebug manual. The purple part in the table shows the connections. The addresses used are 0 & 1 (A0 = GND on one 24LC512 and VDD on the other, A1,A2=GND)
Adding the EEPROM would allow the Junebug to store a hex file and program sans PC (you'll need USB power though) when you press the button near the 18F2550. This is the first time the PICkit2 has enabled its built in I2C EEPROMs

Now the enterprising user might make an adapter for the Junebug to support plug in EEPROM cards with a WP switch on the EEPROM to support many hex files :)

Attachments

• Junebug AUX beta.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 225
blueroomelectronics said:
The center of the top connector has the I2C I/O for the pair of 24LC512s, I wonder if the PICkit2 code could pick up on a single 24LC1024 instead?

This is the way I understand it.

Both sizes have 2 address bits (chip select bits) in the control byte that selects 1 of 4 chips. In addition to this the 512 chip has a 15 bit address and the 1024 a 16 bit address.

An app coded for 512 would will not use the top half of a 1024. That is unless they are smart enough to detect the 1024 and access it differently.

The code to do the detection should not be hard but if they did not include it is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back