Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing Power Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbit

Hi all,

Think I may have a problem. Well, I know I have lots of them but this is one that may be helped by the people on here. :D

I have an "Intelligent" dimmer switch that I intend to use to control a 240V AC fan but I'm a little concerned that the motor is not a large enough load to keep the dimmer happy.
What will happen to either item if there is not enough load and if there isn't what can I do to increase the load on the dimmer?

Dimmer is supposed to be suitable for incandescants, transformers, halogens, fans, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all and it says it has a Min load 40W/VA.
The fan says (if I'm reading it right) 0.19A and 0.032 KW and I think that makes it 32W. Close but is it close enough?

Don't really want to stick it together and experiment, I'd prefer to get it right first time!

Cheers, Hobbit

Shunt the fan with a 240V 10W refrigerator lamp.

There is a minimum about of forward current to get the triac to latch ON but it is pretty low current. The fan probably draws enough current.

It won't hurt anything to try it. If current draw is too low it just won't turn on.

The larger problem maybe what the fan thinks about being "dimmed". Many ac motors don't like it. What kind of motor?

Ok,
ronv: um, no idea but it does work happily with a dimmer.

RCinFLA: I did have a problem but not quite what I expected. The fan starts and runs happily at very slow speeds and will sit there for hours, but if I turn up the speed the dimmer will cut out after a while (10 mins or so)! Turn it off and back on again and it will go for a short while again. I'm guessing there is less load when it is at higher speed and this is enough to trip out the "intelligent" part of the dimmer.

MikeMI: The solution to the problem!! now my workshop and spraybooth are a lot better ventilatled and I can breath sort of normally again.

Thanks Guys.
Hobbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back