Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductive Vs. Capacitive discharging

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodquilon

What is the difference between Inductive & Capacitive discharging ?

I think Capacitor discharges in the opposite direction of its charging. Does it change its polarity ?

And Inductor discharges in the same direction of its charging. Does it change its polarity ?

The energy in a capacitive discharge spark is CV². Since the company I used to work for only made CD units, I don’t have the inductive discharge formula memorized but suspect it is going to be something like LI². Polarity should not normally be an issue since the resulting spark is only used to ignite something and the coil secondary output is just two wires ending in a spark gap.

You are correct. A capacitor is like a spring, so the charge will come out the terminal with the same polarity, but the current flow is in the opposite direction of the charge current.

A inductor is like a weight with inertia, so the current will stay flowing in the same direction, but the polarity will reverse.

The stored energy is ½LI² for an inductor and ½CV² for a capacitor.

What is the difference between Inductive & Capacitive discharging ?

I think Capacitor discharges in the opposite direction of its charging. Does it change its polarity ?

And Inductor discharges in the same direction of its charging. Does it change its polarity ?

Look at this. Should answer all your questions

Attachments

• D26.png
    D26.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 351
You are correct. A capacitor is like a spring, so the charge will come out the terminal with the same polarity, but the current flow is in the opposite direction of the charge current.

A inductor is like a weight with inertia, so the current will stay flowing in the same direction, but the polarity will reverse.

The stored energy is ½LI² for an inductor and ½CV² for a capacitor.

Thanks for clear explanation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back