Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inertial Navigation System Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky91

Hey guys,

Ive got a project where i have to create an INS (but without the GPS) to detect the roll, pitch and yaw axis of an aircraft. Ive already managed the pitch adn roll axis but i cant seem to get yaw.
Btw im using an Arduino that is connected to a Razor 6DOF IMU, and the results are read on the computer.
I read on the internet that i need to use Euler or Quaternions in my code but i have no idea what these are.
Can anybody help me out please?
Thanks a lot!
Becky

I read on the internet that i need to use Euler or Quaternions in my code but i have no idea what these are.

Euler angles can be used to represent orientation in space and quaternions can be used to describe 3 dimensional rotations. They are used often in the field of spacecraft dynamics and attitude control. I haven't messed with them since college and in all honesty, I think I barely grasped them at the time. Have you just searched for these terms and started reading up on them? Have you ever taken linear algebra?

Last edited:
Have a read of this page, especially read the draft of the algorithm. It will be hard to follow without a grasp of quaternions but just think of them as 3 dimensional coordinates.

Alternatively, add a compass.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back