Inertial Navigation System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why the Luftwaffe never used fighter planes to shoot down Allied bombers?
LOL

Which is why the Luftwaffe never used fighter planes to shoot down Allied bombers?
LOL

LOL

Remember the Alamo! Also remember Schweinfurt. Only 54 B-17s (Flying Fortress) downed in one night by ME262 jet fighters.

Also a minor correction here: There is a slight difference between a bomber and a bomb.

Last edited:
LOL

Remember the Alamo! Also remember Schweinfurt. Only 54 B-17s (Flying Fortress) downed in one night by ME262 jet fighters.

Also a minor correction here: There is a slight difference between a bomber and a bomb.
I was being ironic.

What I was getting at is fighter planes could have downed V1's without blowing up the warhead, as they did with bombers. A V1 may have been a smaller target but it had no guns and could not do evasive maneuvers.

I was being ironic.

What I was getting at is fighter planes could have downed V1's without blowing up the warhead, as they did with bombers. A V1 may have been a smaller target but it had no guns and could not do evasive maneuvers.

I know.

The problem was simply speed. Of course you can cut a wing by opening the "shower" using the gun. But it takes some time to achieve that, too much time to fly co-speed with the target.

History also proves that using explosive shells the fighter aircraft was endangered the same as the target. When it blew up the fighter blew up, too.

BTW I have downed a danish Starfighter without use of any weapon. The pilot made a safe silk let down. (parachute landing)

Last edited:

We are in total agreement. Why shoot down a Danish pilot ?

Why shoot down a Danish pilot ?

It just happened during an air defense exercise, when I was the target. The pilot ignored the rule to avoid jet washes and passed mine at high g-load. This multiplies crossing a jet wash and one wing broke off. Even titanum can break.

It just happened during an air defense exercise, when I was the target. The pilot ignored the rule to avoid jet washes and passed mine at high g-load. This multiplies crossing a jet wash and one wing broke off. Even titanum can break.

Congrats on flying fighters.

The F104 was a nice looking jet. Wikipedia says the last ones flew with the Italian air force up to the late 80's. Not shabby for a fighter designed in the 50's.

Have a look on DIY Drones and **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…