Infra Red i/o Control over Desktop PC via MOSFET Transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad_100

Hi,

please forgive me ignorance, but I am having a problem with an infra red control I am building to turn on my pc (from shut down, not to wake it up from suspend mode). My idea is to use a simple 9v infra red transmitter and a phototransistor, which activates the gate on a transistor, which in turn completes the i/o circuit for the pc button and turns it on. The switch works perfectly when I connect it to my circuit tester, but when I wire up the i/o button for the pc to my receiver, the pc turns off because the i/o button circuit is constantly made. I can provide a really basic schematic if it helps, but if anyone has tried this before or has any idea why this is not working I would be much obliged.

many thanks,
Chad

A simple photo transistor will respond to all light. You need a IR demodulator like a TSOP1138, BUT that will still respond to spurious IR noise so you'll need something like a microcontroller to decode an IR data stream like the type your remote puts out.

Thanks for your very quick response Bill. Your reply makes a lot of sense, but I fear I am too inexperienced to embark on a project like that. Do you know of a single solution I could buy to create the same effect? The only infra red controllers I have seen for PCs only wake them from suspend mode, which is no good for me! Alternatively, do you know where I could get a schemtaic for the type of solution you outlined above?

If room light is a problem, there are filters available that block most room light but let through the IR. That might solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…