Infra-Red LED and Photo-Transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastahh

How could you arrange a circuit so that there is an Infra-Red LED and Photo-Transistor, which when the connection between is broken, gives an output?

Thanks

So what do you know about LEDs and photo-transistors? If you Google them, you should be able to determine the answer to your question.

Just giving you a solution to your question, doesn't help you learn.

Hey

The reason I asked is because i connected it up within a circuit, but it seems to me that the output is always high.

If you wish to see, below is a diagram of my circuit

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 218
The circuit you show should turn on the output LED when you interrupt the beam. But you also have to prevent any ambient light from being seen by the photo-transistor.To do that you may have to add a tube around the transistor and/or add a dark red filter.

You have over 60mA going through the IR LED which seems like a lot. Is that how much you want?

Honestly, i am sorry but i am not good at the technical details.
In the end, it will not be 60mA because there will be other, more complicated, sections added to this foundation.
All i need right now is to make it so that when the beam is interrupted, an output is high, as opposed to a constant high output, which i am getting right now

If your 9V is a brand new 9V battery then the current in the 1.3V IR LED is (9.0V - 1.3V)/270 ohms= 28.5mA which might be high enough to burn it out. If your IR LED survives such a high current then the phototransistor should be turned on shorting the red LED turning it off.
When the IR beam is interrupted then the red LED turns on and has a voltage of about 1.8V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…