Inside Wii controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of the wii and its controller, have you all seen this site?

**broken link removed**

Kinda funny....

Yeah, my friend said his friend threw out his shoulder playing Wii tennis. I told him no one would get into enough to do that the week before.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Be careful! - my teenage daughter might come round and show you how girls can punch!

To be fair, EVERYBODY looks stupid punching with wii.
chip of the old block??

Anyway, my point was that the wii is tapping into a market that other game consoles haven't - the fairer sex.

Philba, I said six months, not a few weeks. It's still June 7th for my final say on the matter =) It was likely in response to the wii's use of the motion sensitive controller, but the PS3 was released with the same feature. It will however be aimed at a different market. As to exactly how those markets saturate and the games that eventually become available, who knows. S'why I said I was going to wait six months.
Once again you're already doing what I said was stupid, claiming victory in a race for the next gen console (which should be around 5 years from now) less than 2 months after the release of them. It's still a few months into the fad stage. We'll see how far the marketing hype goes and what games and fun are released between now and then.
Anyone remember the Nintendo Power Glove? Great idea.. Fizzled REAL fast. Still has a few followers till this day, but only time will tell where the wii goes. And time WILL tell.

Last edited:
I've already seen movies of people running Linux on a PS3, if that's any sign of things to come I won't be buying a PC ever again =)
The 'quick and dirtiest' number I can find googling is there were 168million PC's in the U.S. in 2000.
If I represent even a few percent of PC users that would love to get their hands on a PC style OS built around PS3 style hardware the Wii sales wouldn't even fit into a statistical anomoly section on the sales charts within the next 5 years.

Last edited:
The boxing video's are funny . Don't often use that game on there, if we do I tend to try and use proper punches, but as with nearly all games, it will go fastest if you just jerk your wrist forward quickly. The Wii is ace though, just what a console should be; fun. All the stuff about broken TVs, snapping wrist straps etc is stupid. It simply doesn't happen unless you are trying to do it. That picture of the wiimote stuck in the TV side is so fake yet they even showed it on the news!

My main concern would be damage to the joints and ligaments, punching into open air is a bad idea if you fully extend your limbs. This is a major problem for the old katate guys, where it was part of their training - many of the top karate guys from the 1970's are now partially crippled because of it.

Amazing what you learn on NVQ Sports Coaching courses!.

Yeah, I had heard of that. Puching into the air one arm after the other seemed to be popular back then, they'd do it for ages (or in films at least ). Presumably it's trying to perfect the movement?

Dr.EM said:
Yeah, I had heard of that. Puching into the air one arm after the other seemed to be popular back then, they'd do it for ages (or in films at least ). Presumably it's trying to perfect the movement?

Yes, it's to perfect the movement, and build up power - they also kick and punch hard objects (you've probably seen the wooden 'tree' type targets?). This is kill off any feeling of pain you have in your arms and legs - so you don't feel pain when you block or strike. It's another source of disability and deformity in later life!.

makezine.com or one of them have a wii controller mod to rumba robot vaccum. Was there for instructables.com I think I saw it on.

I can see the people of the future, slump shoulders (like I have from setting at a computer screen since 1978) and now bad joints from swinging in the air and punching.

But hey, the review in 6 months will not count, as I do not see my kids able to find one for another month or two. We can not get them here, they sell out an hour after they arrive it seems.

I friend waiting from 12AM to 12midnight to get one the night they came out (and he is a bright guy too). He is still playing his.

Also, my kids play the PS2 and Xbox everyday unless they online game. I am afraid the wii will be as hot as Philba thinks.

If you're trying to perfect the movement force shouldn't be required, I thought that was the idea behind martial arts like Tai Chi? Could something like this be grounds for future lawsuits against Nintendo? We do live in a litigious society after all.

Tai Chi is more about keeping fit than a martial art, and it does give you a good workout - it's amazing how much pain you're in for the next few days!

But karate is more about power than anything else, I did karate up to about blue or purple belt - but I found it boring.

Ju Jitsu, that I teach, is "The Gentle Art" (literal translation), this doesn't mean it's 'gentle', basically it means causing the most damage with the least effort - a worthy goal amongst electronics geeks!

BTW, for a comparison of Karate and Ju Jitsu - both have a similar 'ready stance' - legs side by side spaced apart, arms down by the sides. The difference comes when you move to 'fighting stance' - Karate normally moves FORWARD to fighting stance, Ju Jitsu normally moves BACKWARDS to fighting stance!. Essentially Karate is an attacking style, Ju Jitsu is a defensive style - and most forms of self-defence are heavily based on Ju Jitsu.

Last edited:
Dr.EM said:
All the stuff about broken TVs, snapping wrist straps etc is stupid. It simply doesn't happen unless you are trying to do it.

actually the nintendo president was quoted as admitting the strap problem is real and they are rushing a fix. It's actually a very good problem for nintendo - people are using it a lot and getting carried away with it. I don't recall this much excitement about a gaming product in a long time.

I'm a bit skeptical about the wiimote stuck in the TV but don't disbelieve all the pix of broken things. The broken TVs are probably for real.

Where I use it I probably don't have enough space to get "carried away", but I realised a long time ago that the maximum "power" level was achievable with very small movements, since its a light object and it only detects speed changes. It's never once come free from my grip anyhow (and thus relied on the strap at all). I won't believe any broken CRT TV pics as I assume the glass on those is similar to in CRT PC monitors and as such for it to break, the wiimote would need to be fired from a cannon. LCDs could get damaged quite easily though so that is perfectly possible.

Yeah, i agree about the glass tubes but i haven't seen any pix of those broken.

By the way, a friend of son has a wii and I watched them playing without using the strap though they had the nunchuck hooked up. people really do look spastic using that thing.

My wife was in the mall and called me. GameStop just got a shipment of Wii's. I told her to get one. We will see how cool they are. And what gets broke. Sounds like at least they will be active in this game, more than just their fingers.

mramos1 said:
I told her to get one.

You can just...do that? My mom would kill my dad if he ever did that without forming a commitee and doing a study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…