interesting v-reg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

I found this link on another hobbyist website. This company looks like it makes some nice products. The most interesting I saw was this V-reg they make. It kinda hits you hard in the wallet, but will give you almost 80% efficiency, compared to much lower with the lm78** series. Its pin-compatible and does not need any external caps.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SWADJ.htm

They have 3.3V, 5V, and 1.2-13V models.

Ambient said:
It kinda hits you hard in the wallet, but will give you almost 80% efficiency, compared to much lower with the lm78** series.

Apples and oranges. The LM78xx series are linear regulators, this dimension engineering one is a switching regulator, they're in entirely different classes. Linear regulators are dirt cheap, offer very good regulation, but by their nature they're very inefficient, especially for a large input-output voltage differential. Switching regulators can be way more efficient, and their efficiency doesn't depend on the input voltage.

With that said, I definitely agree that it's a cool product, and kudos to them for managing to stuff an efficient switching regulator capable of ~1A or so into a package that's pin compatible with, and not TOO much bigger than, a comparable linear regulator. The price is of course a bigger hit, but at the same time this is a device you'd only want to use in applications where you really need the efficiency, in which case cost may not be as much of an issue. I've seen it used as a drop-in replacement for a 7805 in a commercial R/C transmitter and the guy claims it about doubles his battery life - I can see it being a really popular item for such applications. If you've got a piece of electronic equipment that cost a few hundred dollars and can significantly improve battery life by changing to a switching regulator (with a drop-in replacement taking just minutes), then $15 is probably well worth it!

It contains a small buck-regulator (e.g:LM2675 from NSC) and few external components - like inductor and two low ESR capacitors.

ok so how can a small switch mode power regulator be made ? I want to power my camera externally by carrying around a small 12 V battery and reducing it to 5 V i should get twice the amperage. also I might have other devices that need 5 V out on the feild

I'd like to have a highly efficient VReg with a 1V input and 3~5V @100mA max output. Does it exist?

Check Linear Technologies website, they have a wide array of switch mode chips that would convert in that range.

Yes, it is apples and oranges. But they produce the same result in the end. I installed a lighting system in a motorcycle for a guy last year using two 5V regs and running the LED's in parallel (close to 90, soon to be 150). The problem is, the system is so inefficient. It wastes around 35W of power in the regs, so I am changing those out and using a buck-boost. Unless its a low power project I will be using converters from now on.

If its something battery powered that REALLY needs more lifespan something like this is great. I am going to take a look at my model airplane transmitters now that you mention it evandude.

Thunderchild, If you take a look at Buck-Boost converters on DigiKey's website you will find one that will work. There are a lot of them so filter the results by what kind of current and voltage you will need. Then go online and get the spec sheet for that chip. You will need some caps and an inductor most likely. If you do not want to solder then you may have to buy a pre-made DC-DC power supply. There are quite a few of those out there.

Last edited:
TI also does some regs wich are especially for battery applications..

a model num would be: REG1117

i know its not switching (if i remember well) but is should be already allot better then a normal one.

Tks

Power Trends used to make a similar product, but got eaten up by TI, TI now makes the same thing with the PT part #.

I am in the same boat with the motorcycle and/or low power consuming product...

I found some nominal 5v Power Trend switching regulators, which can do between 3 and 9v roughly with two external resistors... I ended up paying like 3$ a piece for 15 of them I think... ebay, part # WAS PT6302R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…